Reel to Reel uses -

My wife and I love to entertain.  It never ceases to surprise me how many will walk over to my stereo and stare at my Reel to Reel tape deck.  Some under the age of 35, will ask what it is? Others want to know why I have it, and what do I use it for?  Of course I answer their questions, but now it makes we wonder how others use their machines?  I have been following a couple of high end blogs that I really enjoy and see that one gentlemen uses his machine to play master tape copies.  I do this as well, but have no where near the selection that he does.  I make copies of my favorite LP's to play when guests are over, and also make my own master tapes using a couple of neuman's microphones.  I record small jazz trios and solo artists straight to the machine.  People are amazed at how 'real' these tapes sound.  My main reel to reel is a Pioneer RT-1050 high speed half track.  I have a second just like it that I use for the above mentioned site recordings.  I also have a ReVox B-77, a Sony TC-765, and a Crown 822, all half track machines.  Anyone out there making your own masters?

Norman
normansizemore
Norman, thank you. I will still probably go with the Otari series two or three. Unless I unexpectedly can afford Studer 810.
Is it significantly better than Otari?
Inna,

Studer is the Rolls Royce of RtRs built for studios. For home use Otari won't disappoint. Otari stopped making RtRs just a month or two ago, but you can still buy a new one from leftover stock. It retails at $9K+.

Good Luck.
There are many ways to enjoy reel to reel. I have number of machines and like to play them all. I try to support all those who are releasing reel tapes today - they are all 15 ips and run from those releasing their own recent recordings as well as older recordings from the master tape. The quality can be mind blowing. 

I would suggest that you buy a high speed machine (up to 15 ips) and one that allows you to choose EQ curve.  Make sure that whatever you buy is recently evaluated and serviced.  Head wear is important.

Welcome the "lunatic fringe" of audio.

Bruce
livin_262002, I meant in terms of sound. Does Studer actually sound  better than Otari? Otari is wildly used in small studios too, as I heard.
Inna,
I don't believe the Studer will sound better then the Otari. What you will notice with regard to difference is how the Studer performs its functions. It's like a Swiss watch. Tape handling is smoother, the machine runs quite. Stopping and starting are more positive and assuring. The 810 is a world class machine. I wish I had one. I wish my ReVox ran like one! But that is the huge difference between ReVox and Studer. ReVox is a home machine, and not nearly as smooth as a Studer.
The Studer also boasts world class electronics. 
Norman