Audio Research Ref. 3, Ref. 5, or the Ref. 5se.

I am looking to add a Audio Research preamp. Looking at the Ref. 3,5,5se. The 5se is a bit high in price.

I have a Wadia S7i CDP up front with Pass Labs XA100.8 amps. I am using Vandersteen Quarto Wood CT speakers. Witch Audio Research would make the best sense to go with.

Thanks for the help Russ.

russb
Asking which ARC gear is better, the cheaper or the more expensive, you're going to get these kind of responses.  In defense of the Ref 3, I emphatically state that it is a bargain at the used price.  In fact, with the money I saved I upgraded to (used) Nordost Frey 2 and Tyr 2 IC's.  That's an upgrade I would do before jumping on a Ref 5SE any day.  I would love a 5SE or Quatros  - I have 3A Sigs.  Until and if I can afford them I'm in no way unhappy - the Ref 3 is that good.

I just wanted to thank everyone for there input and advice. I need to make a choice on the route.

Thanks Russ

+ 1 wlutke I have the ref 3 with pass xa 160.5 they work together beautifully with my Marten speakers you shouldn't have any problems with your Vandys. The ref 3 with nos 6h30dr's  is a vast improvement over the stock 6h30's more clarity and very special in the midrange. Best of Luck
the guy who designed and built your speakers thinks pretty highly of the 5 SE
i believe the advice he gave me was along the lines of giant killer...
2640 hours on mine.
ARC bashers for improving the product abound...
if you love your model keep it.
want an upgrade go that route..
my only beef was the cheap plastic remote..i sprung for metal 3 years in....

At a retail price of 13k I don't know how anyone could call it a giant killer. And I am not an ARC basher. I currently own 2 pieces of their gear.