What I did to my Magnepan MG12's and I'm doing with my new 1.7's

I UPGRADED the crossover components in my MG12's!
OMG!
Do you guys have any idea what happens when you replace a $9 cap with a $250 one??
And replace a $1.75 cap with a $18 one, and replace a $12 inductor with a $65 one??
Well... that huge GULF of quality difference between a MG12 and a 3.7 gets a WHOLE LOT SMALLER. They become MUCH more serious sounding HI-END speakers.
I've been living with these modified MG12's upgraded for a year and half and enjoy them immensely. And I've owned $10K speakers before the great recession so I know what great sound is.
Since the 1.7's have much better panels than the MG12, I've decided to buy a pair and DO THE SAME WITH THEM.
The important thing is I'm not changing ANYTHING about the design of the crossovers, ONLY the QUALITY of the components. Probably will sink about $1K-1.5K in them. You would be surprised to hear people I tell about what I've done say back to me, "Oh, that just can't be worth doing or make much improvement". Are you kidding?? What do you think happens when replace a $35 pair of headphones with a $650 pair? You seriously think you won't get a better sounding pair? OF COURSE YOU DO! And it's the SAME THING with the parts that make up a crossover network. I'm just grateful to Magnepan for them putting all the value into the panel drivers instead of the crossovers. Think of how difficult it would be to try to upgrade/mod those big panels?
(MG12) I put Clarity cap MR 400v - 27mF+5.75mF (33mF replacement) for the tweeters, a 2.8 mH - 16 ga. foil aircore inductor with 50mF solen fast cap for the mid/bass (but suggest using a 12 ga. instead), and leave all the factory components in place and just run new wires from panel tabs out the speakers terminal holes. Keep all speakers term. parts in case you sell them. Break-in is about 50-70 hours, then they go magically serious sounding. Before break-in happened I have to admit I was wondering if this was a completely stupid act, but no, it was absolutely righteous in EVERY WAY.
Even the 3.7's are using very base grade parts I've noticed. There is a guy on these forums that claims his 1.7's  with upgraded parts sound better than his friends 3.7's, I whole-heartedly BELIEVE him. All I can say is if your 3.7 or lower model Maggies are running stock XO componenets then you have NO idea what they are capable of, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. If anyone wants advice or help I'm happy to assist. Enjoy this wonderful experience. God bless.
dfarmer
@rodman99999 

Yes, I still have the shipping materials. If we ever went with this, it'd have to be at a time where I plan some travel, so that I don't miss the music.

I've shipped Maggies before. It's a hassle, but can be done.

Can you PM me, or has that functionality been taken out of Agon?

RHanson---Danny Richie at GR Research builds x/o's using premium parts for a reasonable charge. You need only provide him with the schematic.

GKR---Also from Danny is a very special sub that would be incredible with your 1.7's (as well as any and all other dipole/planar loudspeakers), his Open Baffle/Dipole sub using the Rythmik Direct Servo feedback system. You can read all about it on the GR Research website and Audiocircle Forum.

@rhanson739 -  As an alternative, IF you could handle the most basic of tasks yourself, on the speakers, I could make the new crossover and you could install it.   Making a plug-and-play mod of this , would not be difficult.  Thus far, I've not found a method of contacting another member, outside of these threads..
@rhanson739 -  Same here.   Perhaps I should place an ad, offering crossover upgrades, and see what develops.  Anyone interested could contact me through the classifieds.