Review: Allan Maher Power Enhancer AC filter

Category: Accessories

Alan Maher Power Enhancer and the Noise Destroyer

Ok, here is my set up.

I have 3 dedicated circuits all with 10 gauge Romex and all with the Wattgate 381 gold plated outlets.

Electrical Set Up and Equipment
#1 one circuit is used only with my APL 3910 Player. Connected with Purist Anniversary Power Cord
#2 one circuit for only my Pass labs X350.5 Amp Connected with Virtual Dynamics Revelation 2 Power Cord
#3 one circuit for my Hydra 8 (Connected with Virtual Dynamics Master Power Cord) where all my video is plugged in. LCD TV, DVR, DVD, CDR, Cable Box etc.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Review
Originally, I plugged the Alan Maher PE’s into outlets outside of those 3 dedicated circuits (I used other outlets in the same room) to break them in. In those locations, I actually thought they sounded pretty good. But I was told by Jen Maher not to do that. Jen said to plug them into my Audio outlets and don’t move them from place to place, if I did, she said, they would go thru break in all over again.

Well, I moved them as instructed into the #1 dedicated outlet used on the APL Player and on the #2 dedicated outlet used with my Pass Labs Amp.

A few days later, (about 4 days) the bass and treble sounded less impressive, the dynamics was gone. After a week, the system remained “Dark Sounding” and unenjoyable. I finally said to myself, what the hey, and moved the PE’s back to the Original placement I had at the beginning (outside of the 3 dedicated outlets).

Well folks that is it, they sounded great once again in that location. The dynamics and the upper frequencies returned slowly. But the change was noticeable somewhat right away. After about 15-30 minutes the treble started sounding more extended and the dynamics returned. For some reason, when I plugged the PE’s directly into my dedicated Audio outlets the sound gets dark, I believe the Audiophile word for this is, overdamped. Your results may vary.

So, am I better off with the Alan Maher or the Noise Destroyers in my system??? I would say, yes, they make noticeable positive improvements, but extreme placement is necessary.

Results were about the same with the Allan Maher units as compared to the Noise Destroyer units. I would give the nod to the Alan Maher units over the Noise Destroyers due to price and slightly better performance. I have placed the Noise Destroyers into my Video System where they have improved that quite nicely.

APL Denon 3910 CD Player
Pass Labs X350.5
Eggleston Works Andra mkII Speaker
Purist Dominus Ferox Rev C Balanced 2M Interconnect
Shunyata Hydra 8 AC filter
Virtual Dynamics Revelation 2.0 Bi-wire Speaker cable
Purist 20th Anniversary Contego Power cord
Virtual Dynamics Revelation 2 Power cord

Associated gear
APL Denon 3910 CD Player
Pass Labs X350.5
Eggleston Works Andra mkII Speaker
Purist Dominus Ferox Rev C Balanced 2M Interconnect
Shunyata Hydra 8 AC filter
Virtual Dynamics Revelation 2.0 Bi-wire Speaker cable
Purist 20th Anniversary Contego Power cord
Virtual Dynamics Revelation 2 Power cord
128x128ozzy
Sherod, I have 3 dedicated circuits for my Audio.I have tried the PE's within these 3 circuits every way they could be plugged in.
Outside of these 3 circuits they didnt seem to do anything.

As I said, some systems benifit from the use of these devices, mine surely did not.
Good riddance...
Post removed 
Ozzy,
I don't doubt you that the PE devices didn't work out in your system. I just read your review, though, and initially you appeared to have liked them in your system. As Tvad stated, what works in someone's system might not work in another's. Additionally, for those who still use the AM PE in their system, I have found that two in series is sufficient. I found a bright-sounding outlet in the back bedroom close to the breaker box for one unit and the other is plugged into the same outlet of my monoblocs in the main listening room. This seems to give me the clearest and most dynamic sound. I recently found that although one plugged after the system( parallel) initially adds some warmth, however, the overall sound became closed in and lifeless. Alan warned that this could happen. So as a result, my main system is complete with only the two in series only. YMMV (O:
Milestone for delta systems. With the ground wire in a ranch house screened and 0.5 microfarads of emi/rf suppressed out of the hot/neutral wires by path of least resistance, one Alan Maher Power Enhancer v.2 placed in the master bedroom enables all the neutral wires in the house to pull evenly.