The Hifi Trajectory Of Class D Amplifiers

I bought my first digital SLR camera back in 2005. Film SLR cameras were still king back then. Longtime film camera hobbyists and pros thumbed their noses at digital. Ten years later, film cameras have been surpassed by digital cameras and are nearly extinct. Millions of people use cameras. The market was already in place for anyone that would advance the technology of digital photography.

With Class D amps, you don't have a marketplace the size of the camera marketplace. There doesn't seem to be enough economic incentive to spend the necessary research dollars to advance the technology to get the same sort of improvement trajectory that digital photography has enjoyed.

Anyone care to speculate how long it will take for Class D amps to consistently rival the best tube, Class A and Class A/B across the board....and do it without resorting to the stratospheric prices that current non-Class D amps are priced at.
128x128mitch4t
My Class D amps at home are top notch.

At the gym, they use inexpensive pro Crown Class D amps with large horn loaded speakers and instructors use their Apple devices as source. Not audiophile material in there with lots of echo and speakers in corners near ceiling but gets the job done nicely.

Very versatile technology!
In terms of sound good Class D amps I have heard and good tube amp setups I have heard differ not just in components used end to end but soundwise as well. Tube amps often provide some degree of warmth through the midrange. Class D amps I have heard deliver more of a "liquid" midrange but not warm at all. You have to add that somewhere else if warmth is what you seek. A good matching tube pre-amp does nicely.

I have one mostly digital (with phono and line level analog inputs plus various digital) integrated amp (Bel Canto C5i) and my main rig with BC CLass D amps and ARC tube pre-amp. They are both excellent performers but have their sonic differences, mainly the touch of warmth the ARC preamp delivers. I can listen to either happily for hours.
Mapman, there are some highly praised class D bass heads (like Ampeg micro or Gens-Benz Shuttle series) and some really bad ones, like with anything else.

To me liquid midrange of class D, that you mentioned, is closer to tube amp than SS amp sound. Other than that my class D amp is pretty neutral sounding. You like a little bit of warmth, that tube preamp gives you and I get the same from my warm sounding speakers. Either way, Icepower is a very good amp, for the money.

Class D progress, in my opinion, is related more to switching speed of output Mosfets that would allow to lessen phase shift by extending audio bandwidth. Companies like Fairchild or International Rectifiers announce new faster, higher power Mosfets every year. That is bottleneck IMHO. Everything else is only matter of integration level. It is also worth mentioning that modern class D modulator is not a simple ramp and comparator but resembles more Delta Sigma A/D converter. In fact PWM is a byproduct of Delta Sigma conversion, that appears alone as SACD. SACD is pretty much class D output (PWM) at high carrier frequency (2.8MHz) before filtering.
Kijanki, agree.

Neutral liquid midrange is a good thing.

I have insufficient data points to say all class d sounds that way but ice power does seem to.