What is your favorite Mozart symphony?

Most people would agree that the last three symphonies of Mozart (no. 39 -41) would be his greatest symphonic compositions. But it is so interesting to realize the perspectives on this subject from conductors. In one interview, Karl Bohm stated that Symphony No. 9 in C major has the originality of some later great works. Another case is Eugen Jochum who performed Symphony No. 33 in B falt major (121 times) more than Symphony No.40 (60 times) or Symphony No. 41 (87 times) in his career.

It would be equally or more interesting to collect your opinions. What would be your favorite Mozart symphony? What would be your most admired performance/recording of that composition?

Happy Listening!

Otto
yu11375
Learsfool, I guess that's why I said perhaps with Mendelsssohn.
Obviously all you mention were great masters of the compositional art but I still maintain of all those you mention only Mozart and Schubert had true genius even
though Bach was the greatest .
Schubert,
I have about 10 of the Mackerras/Prague/Telarc CDs and the performances are very good, and the sonics are outstanding. When Telarc gets it right, it's like you are in the middle of the concert hall.

Which version were you recommending?
For Lowrider,

If you like the performances of Bohm on YouTube. The ensemble for those recordings is Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra while the ensemble of 2006's collector edition or 2013's "Karl Bohm: The Symphonies" is Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra.

The recordings on YouTube are recently released under the title "Karl Bohm: Late Recording" in 2015. It only complies Symphony No 29, 35, 38, 39, 40 and 41.

There is another early release in 2005 "Karl Bohm: Mozart and Strauss" complies Symphony No. 26, 32, 34, 36, 38, 39, 40 and 41. The ensembles are Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (No. 34, 36 and 38) and Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam (all others).

I am lucky enough to collect them all.

Happy Listening.

Otto
Lowrider, I don't know what version I had, I gifted my box to a young couple who wanted to play classical around their baby . A worthy cause if ever there was one .
In any event these days I'm pretty much a original instrument guy who listens to Pinnock and English Consort
and some long term faves like Kertesz and Jane Glover .
Hi Schubert - I guess what I meant to ask, but didn't, is what is your personal criteria for genius that only Mozart and Schubert fit? Or fit all of, as the case probably is?