Amp for stereo subs

My open baffle speakers have 2, 12" subs on each side, powered by your basic chinese plate amps. They are not mounted on the baffle due to lack of room. I have each one in a separate wooden box a friend built. In an effort to cut back on the equipment clutter and outlet demand, I'm thinking of going to a stereo amp. Looking for recommendations for a modestly priced ss amp in the 100-250 wpc range for that use. I have an outboard crossover to use (oops, there goes the outlet I just got back!) so I really just need the power. No prejudice against Class D if that's what makes sense.
128x128swampwalker
The Crowns sound like an interesting option, especially at the price.

Good plate amps could be had from Hypex in The Netherlands. They make the NCores, which would be overkill for this application as their strength is on how refined they are for a Class-D. I recently assembled a pair of UcD400 (first time I assemble an amp) and it was straight forward and allows me to build the midbass amp into the speaker cabinets in an active setup.

A more involved alternative as it requires assembly, but allows for customization to avoid clutter. I'm on the same vein, BTW. Oh, and they sound really good. And no fans to worry about.
Swamp, how is it going with your Crown amps?  I've had mine in place for several months and I'm *very* satisfied.  As for fan noise?  What fan?  I have yet to ever hear the fans kick on, and I've pushed some serious db's thru this system on occasion.

The low end on my system is very authoritative, not boomy.  And I do believe Ivan's reckoning of the "real" power output is flawed, these amps have each and every bit of 500+ watts per channel into 4 ohms and I've yet to hear even a hint of strain when the system is boogeying. 

The only thing I can (barely) hear is someone in the background screaming "TURN IT DOWN!!" but that could just be my imagination....(smile)
rl-the crown is working out just fine.  I don't usually push my system too hard and the music I mostly listen to is not very bass heavy, but I've never heard the fan kick on, either.  The only complaint I have is if I forget to turn if off at the unit, and instead shut it down by powerig down the switched outlet it's plugged in to, when I flip that back down  I get a massive thump.  But that/s my faultso no biggie.  If I power up and down correctly, no noise at all.