Disappointing audition after great review

Ok, so I read the hi fi mags, in print and on line. I recently read a glowing review of speakers retailing in excess of $10,000. Then I found a dealer with the speakers on display. After listening I came away thinking what wa stat reviewer thinking? Also recently I tried a pair of headphones. Read a glowing review which touted its sonic quality and noted although they were heavy, they were comfortable to wear, even for hours. So I tried those headphones. After 5 minutes I could not wait to get them off.

Makes me wonder- are the reviews little more than shill ads? Sometime I think so.

On the other hand, there is one long time reviewer who seems to hear pretty much what I do. What he likes I like.

What's been your experience?
128x128zavato
Audio review magazines are nothing more than ads. The reviews themselves are extended advertisements. Get them for the pictures and the general entertainment value... but viewing a "review' as something you can use to discern what to buy is not very reasonable. All you can get is what things cost, what they look like and a little on their specs... other than that, the review gives you nothing. Audition at home and make your decisions there.
If I listened to reviewers, I wouldn't like half the music and movies I like. People who write reviews cannot help but compare their subjects to the movies, music, books, etc, that they themselves have liked. Audio reviewers are prone to biases, as well, as are we all. Reviewers in any category are trying to make a living, usually as writers, who need to offer insight and turn a catchy phrase. I like reading reviewers more for their writing talent than their judgments.
I would differentiate. I would not trust much any speaker review by anyone for the reasons mentioned above, though some reviews might be very accurate.
As for the electronics, well, it depends on who writes and how well you can read between lines. They cannot say everything they think but some find a way of doing it indirectly. I cannot say everything I think professionally either, even indirectly. Let's be understanding.
It is not always possible to audition in your room, sometimes you have to take your best guess. Audiophiles should have a good sense and intuition not to make many mistakes.
In my case, my own bias helps me. As an example, I will never consider VPI, Basis, Linn, Rega etc. turntables, but I will consider Nottingham, Simon Yorke, Origin Live, Customized Technics SP10-MKIII or Walker. No idea of German tables, many must be good perhaps.
For what it's worth, i was able to attend an audio show many years ago, and spent the whole three days looking and listening to various systems. One room really REALLY impressed me, and as i looked around, several anxious attendees were waiting to sit in the center front row seat (as was I). The speakers were Sonus Faber Extrema's, Copland and Audio Research SS electronics, an SME 30 turntable, and some fairly inexpensive wires. AC Jobim and other vinyl records were being played, and the sound was exceptionally relaxed and just plain "lovely". Later I shopped around for the SF speakers but even used they were going for $10K or more, way over my budget. A few more years went by and along came Eggleston Andra speakers at a local dealer with the same tweeter SF used, but with bass down to 19Hz. After months of deliberation, I finally bought the demo pair, and when i got them into my own system they sounded absolutely phenomenal- what i had expected but even a bit more so, plus i had all the time in the world to see what they could do long term. It's a damn expensive hobby and the average person would certainly think i was INSANE for buying speakers that cost 5 figures. But i "knew" at this point what I liked and what sacrifices i would have to make to hear music this accurately and with startling realism.
there are many ways to find out for yourselves what level of quality you are willing to obtain and at what cost, but at least make a trip to a store or someone's house that knows how to put a great system together. Then you have an idea and a goal to attain, whether for now or some years from now.
After 25 or more years i can say that the newest gear that comes out has little affect on me, although a server with a thousand albums on it would certainly be very convenient. But the fundamental purpose- getting a piano to sound like it's in front of you for example, has already been reached to my ears.
Now my primary goal is this- I just want to continue finding new music to play on my system.
P.S.- BTW, the Egglestons were considered so exceptional at one time in the stereo magazines, but now you never hear anything about them. What does that mean? All the other speakers that have been reviewed since then are "so great, and this and that" (for even more money, gobs more money). But, If you already have a pair, the answer should be "so what?..."
I had an argument with Ken Kessler many years ago because he thought the dull, rounded, laid back, and bass heavy sound of Aragon power amps was preferable to a lively, transparent, dynamic, and, if I may, brighter sound. I could not, for the life of me, put myself in his shoes. It was unlistenable. This was in England, and we came to the conclusion that Americans preferred bass heavy sound rather than a Quad ESL midland transparency. De gustibus non est disputandum!