wattage

I have seen prior threads on this, but none recently that can answer how many watts from an amp are truly necessary.
Take an inefficient speaker, say 86 w/db. at 98 db (which will harm hearing when sustained) 16 watts would be required. Even doubling this to account for transients would be available at 32 watts. Strickly
from an engineering standpoint, are more than 40 watts really necessary? No audiophile terms like bloom, and slam needed.
Regards.
RJ
tennisdoc40
The music flows just fine with my 60 to 80 watts or so tube amp…150 in the mosfet sub…dynamic all day (my speakers are maybe 89 db efficient although rated as higher). A note about clean dynamic power…I have super clean mui powerful amps used for live sound work, and if you ran one into virtually ANY home stereo speaker (love to demonstrate this with Magicos or something…owned by somebody else of course) that supposedly can handle some power, put a mic on a kick drum through a clean mixer and gave it some uncompressed beans (even flat with no bass boost with the amp on maybe 20%), you'd be lucky to hear a quick "splort" before the speaker self destructed. I'm not sure what my point is…but that's reality.
it always depends.

in this case it depends on how loud you need to go with various recordings and assuming speakers are capable of doing it in your room without strain or compressing.

Generalizations may apply but generalizations seldom yield exceptional performance.

The devil is always in the details.

I have a 60 w/ch integrated running lower efficiency spekaers in a large room and the results are fine up to a point but are limited compared to essentially the same but somewhat larger speakers in another large room running off similar but 500w/ch amps. There is no comparison of overall dynamics and musicality at realistic listening volumes but at typical modest volumes both do similarly fine.
Brauser - you are exactly right. The amount of power (watts) needed to give the impression of adequate sound pressure levels is less than you think. If the signal applied to your loudspeakers is not phase coherent, it will seem to lack "punch". If the listener then turns the volume up to achieve this "punch", it is only an attempt to compensate for the incoherent signal. What you end up with is a louder version of an incoherent signal. If you have a coherent signal then the "wattage" becomes more efficient. In other words if you have 2 systems, one coherent and one with phase or time domain errors, driving them both at exactly the same measured wattage, the coherent system will sound noticeably louder (at least 3+ db). Timing is everything.

Roger
Signal applied "not phase coherent"?. Do you suggest that amplifier somehow shifts phase in the audio frequency range causing reduction of perceived loudness ???