Has Linn Gone Crazy? They Stopped Making Pre-Amps

This was recently announced, but as yet has not been covered on Audiogon.

Linn Audio has stated that they will stop manufacturing dedicated pre-amps:

http://www.unlockpwd.com/linn-stops-the-production-of-products-that-can-only-act-as-a-pre-amplifier/

So, is Linn Crazy Like a Fox, or Just Crazy...
courant
Mateored, thanks for your detailed replies & insight into Linn systems. I have very little experience with Linn myself. It is interesting that they are following the approach taken by Meridian (Boothroyd-Stuart Meridian) which also likes the "walled garden" approach & has been practicing that forever. They are DSP all the way & I believe their latest speakers are also active. Hmmm....very interesting that another British company is following in Meridian's footsteps. Is it just coincidence or is it influence thru proximity??
By chance I went to a Linn demonstration evening in a local Pub. Unfortunately my quack says I can't drink at the moment. What do Doctors know? It did mean I could listen to what the Linn Rep was saying, not through a haze of beer. I have always admired Linn, but am not sure about the way they are going. That seems to be to centre their systems round DSM's or digital streaming modules, with bolt on Pre amps, DACs, internet radio etc, as the system requires. This then can feed into an active or passive version of their speakers, as required.

The effort and technology involved has to be admired. Each speaker driver is individually level matched and adjusted to minimal DB differences.

I listened to a Majik passive system with Standmounts and an active Exact system with floor standing Speakers. Prices were not outrageous by modern standards and were designed to be incorporated into a multiroom WiFi system. Cutting edge technology and simple user interface then, all very impressive. Unfortunately and I hate to admit it as I am British, it all sounded dire. Typical of a poor solid state gritty, edgy sound, no tonal colour, completely flat soundstage with no depth at all, a shame really.
Linn changed quite awhile ago when they opened their retail outlets. Essentially what they are trying to do is offer great sounding lifestyle audio systems. As such it's not that different than Meridian, B&O, Goldmund or some products from Sony. They aren't really targeting audiophiles.
David12,
Yes, that's the point. When all is said and done the products will ultimately be judged on how they sound, technology innovations aside.
Just for comparison, I just bought a Bel Canto c5i integrated amp. It has no pre-amp. Line level and phono inputs are converted to digital and it uses recent Class D Icepower amp technology. It is very small, very ergonomic, and sound absolute top notch.

So maybe Linn is on to something, trying to keep up with the times and technology and deliver good sound to the masses accordingly.

I doubt "audiophiles" have anything to do with it. That's a very small and crowded target market these days.