Speaker cabinet made of real wood

Hello guys,

What speakers, any brand/model have real wood cabinets versus having a veneer or vinyl finish. I believe that certain Proac Super Tablette and Response 2 speakers did.
sympaticonorm
Congrats on the new speakers, Al! Mind giving us a rough idea on room dimensions, placement, and associated gear?

John
Congrats on the new speakers, Al! Mind giving us a rough idea on room dimensions, placement, and associated gear?
Thanks, John! I anticipate putting up a thorough system description in the next few weeks, w/pics, and I don't want to divert the thread. But I suppose a summary would not be inappropriate:

Room: 22L x 13.5W x 8H. Speakers fire along the long dimension, of course. Central part of rear wall is an opening to another room, so acoustically the length dimension is quite long. Speakers are about 8 feet apart measured driver to driver; front of speakers are about 4 feet from front wall. Listening distance 11 feet (to mid-point between speakers). Speakers are toed in a bit more than half-way between being pointed straight ahead and being pointed directly at the listener. Room is wood-panelled, with wood blinds on the windows that comprise most of the front wall.

System:
Daedalus Ulysses Speakers (with all-poly crossover option).
Bryston BCD-1 CDP.
Classe CP-60 Preamp.
Paxthon VTA-160 Power Amp, 80W/channel (actually a simple integrated, used as a power amp, Chinese made, retubed with a matched octet of SED "Winged C" EL34's, and vintage Telefunken 12AX7's and RCA 5763's).
SOTA Sapphire turntable (1980's); Magnepan Unitrac arm; Grace F9E Ruby cartridge (being retipped at Soundsmith); Grado Reference Sonata cartridge (high output version).
Phono section of a Mark Levinson ML-1 preamp (1978) used as phono stage (accessed via tape out jacks).
1980's STAX Lambda Pro headphones, with ED-1 Diffuse Field Equalizer.
Radio Engineering Laboratories (REL) "Precedent" FM tuner (1954) + H. H. Scott LM35 Multiplex Adapter (1960)
Tandberg 3004 Cassette Deck (1980).

Come to think of it, my system covers each of the past 7 decades!

Best regards,
-- Al
Thanks Al! That's very helpful. Engaged in a laborious speaker search, and wondering if the Ulysses might work in my comparatively small room (approx 13.5 x13.5 x 9h, opening onto other rooms on two sides). I'm guessing the smaller Daedalus might be a better fit, depending. Anyway, sorry for the divergence from the OP. J
Good luck, John! You may want to give Lou a call -- I'm sure he'll be extremely helpful.

My own instinct, fwiw, would be that the DA-RMa probably would be a much better fit. If you were to provide a reasonable distance between the speakers and the wall behind them, as is obviously desirable, I suspect that with the Ulysses you would then have a problem sitting far enough away for the drivers to blend properly.

Lou has said in past threads, btw, that the DA-RMa and the Ulysses are very similar sonically, apart from the additional deep bass extension that the Ulysses provides.

Best regards,
-- Al