what percentage of us really knows sound

Hi,been in audio preatty much all my live,play a few instruments myself, and it is chocking to me how many people in this hobbie, because they have a few Hi end gear
think that they can discern sonic diferences,or that their system sounds amazing, when 80% of time when I' listen to those fellows system, the sound is horrible, I'm talking about systems in the upper $50000, and this people come out, talking about soundstage, inner detail, and layers of sound cascading thru a huge soundscape, another thing is that, I'thought all this audiophile people where a group of well to do business people, that had money to speare,
when the truth is that most of audiophile people are broked
and dont' have their priorities toghether, been at many many, audiophile people's house, and it is sad, people with, high end systems, and no furniture,just bought a pair of speakers, $11000 retail and an Aiwa,component has more BASS THAN this speakers, affter spending more than $2500, on cables,think someone is taking advantage of the audiophile community
juancgenao
We hear with our ears....and listen with our mind....

Take a deep breath, think about what you want your music system to sound like, and start creating it. That's the beauty in this hobby....you have some control over what you want to listen to. If you can't find it in someone else's design and product, create your own.

Whatever you do, have fun. Life is too short to be frustrated and disappointed in "stuff" that doesn't improve the quality of your life.

I need a sofa.... ;)
Juan, I agree with you. I have also been to many so called audiophile homes who's system sounded like anything but music and extremely thin. I call it the "weenie" sound because the system sounds small and light weight all in an effort to extract more detail.

High Fidelity Defined: Sound reproduction equipment that produces sound as near to the original sound as possible.

I'm sure many here remember Tandberg products. Tandberg wanted to upgrade their 3000 series products and approached their engineers with this request. The engineer's replied they were doing everything they knew to get the best sound. Tandberg was not satisfied with that and sent their engineers to "Ear Training". The engineers were required to listen to live music with someone to tell them what to listen for. Once the engineers knew what to listen for they began trying different technics and different parts to find out what sounded better. The result was the Tandberg 3000 "A" models.

Juan is right. It seems like the more expensive the system the worse it sounds. I think audiophiles should start out small and work their way up to a better system and learn as they go. In some ways it's like riding a motorcycle. Start out small and gradually work up to a bigger bike opposed to the middle aged guy that finally has enough money to buy a Harley for his first motorcycle and becomes a statistic.

I don't buy it's a matter of personal taste because I think alot of people don't know what to listen for like the Tandberg engineers. I think there are a lot of people that buy based on recommendations such as Stereophile Recommended components. They select from so called Class "A" or Class "B" lists and they get a bad match because they don't know what they are doing and think it must sound good because it was recommended by the Gods and they spent alot of money.

Besides that everyone is getting sucked into room treatment and power cords whether they need it or not. Room treatment is powerful and too much room treatment can be worse than no treatment at all and how many power cords do you have to replace before you become totally lost.

Less is more. Some of the best sounding systems I have heard are simple systems. The more complicated things get the worse it sounds.

I think Juan is overstating his case, but there is truth in what he says. Sometimes I look at people's system listed here on Audiogon and I just can't imagine how they could sound any good. Excellent equipment, at least by reputation, but what I consider really questionable setup. On the other hand I see some systems/rooms that truly do look like audio nirvana. Some people really do know what they're doing, but not everyone. Of course, everybody here is in the former group!