Jim Thiel has passed.

See news at S'phile.com
128x128tabl10s
I feel great sorrow for Jim Thiel's friends and family. He made numerous contributions to the industry and will be missed.

I visited AMG earlier today and saw this news on the front page.

Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary passed away Wednesday at age 72, succumbing to the leukemia she had battled since 2004.

This has been a terrible year, we've lost so much talent. Not only artists, but designers and manufacturers as well. I hope we hang on to the joy each brought to us.
It is a very bad news. His great talents and designs will be missed. I have been a fan of Thiel's speakers. I owned CS2, CS3.6, and now own CS7.2. The CS2 taught me what soundstage was.

I thought I would be upgrading to another new design (CS9?) in the near future. Now my dream may not come true. Hopefully someone in Thiel can continue his great work and designs and offer high value and high performance speakers like before.
As Albert Porter notes above-- this has been a terrible year for losing great talent. We can argue endlessly about differences in gear but it takes a special person to create that gear in the first place. Jim was one such special talent and his company reflected his manner and values. Within weeks we've now lost J.Gordon Holt and Jim Thiel, who knows how long any of us have. Enjoy the music and maybe, maybe, recognize the talent that goes into bringing music to our lives.
Never owned any of the Thiel speakers but he had a innovative mind. He will be missed in the Audio world.
May be find everlasting peace.
Met him once when he was doing the rounds at audio shops introducing the 3.7s. He was a true gentleman. I have owned his 2.4s for the past 3 years and love em. Condolences to his family and friends and may he RIP.