How loud do you like to play your music?

Instead of guessing from random comments. I thought a census of listening levels from members would be useful. feel free to mention a range.
My lowest listenable level is 80 db my favorite is 90 to 95 the loudest is 100 or just give your single preferred volume. The numbers above are my actual preferences.
If you do not have or used an SPL meter, just say Hi, Medium or low but try give us a reference point of some kind if possible.
Extraneous info is welcome. For example in my book shelf system it's... but in my main rig it's... Thanks
mechans
I listen a lot based on the volume that one would expect if the music was live. So with Wagner- peaks around 110, but ELP's first LP I'll have dialed back a bit to peaks at 100-105. Solo guitar is then at 75.

In order to play these volumes comfortably (the way real music can do- 110 db is easy for a live orchestra), the system has to be free of resonances and odd-ordered harmonic generation (odd ordered harmonics are the cues that the ear/brain system uses to determine how loud a sound is). With no artificially enhanced volume cues then the cues come from the sources rather than the playback.
Raks, you said "When I played the Focal’s at the same mark, the sound was “uncomfortable”. That confused me because the Usher’s are more efficient than the Focal’s."

Actually, it's the other way around. The Ushers are much less efficent than the Focals. I made the switch in the opposite direction from you (from Micro Utopia BE's to the Ushers and there is definitely a difference in the efficiency with the Ushers needing considerably more power to hit the same volume level). So, if you set the same volume level on the Focals that you listened to with the Ushers, that explains why the sound was "uncomfortable". At the same volume position it would have been louder with the Micro Utopia BE's. So, it's most likely not a matter of the Focals giving you the fidelity you were looking for at a lower level.

Disclosure: I am an Usher dealer and a former Focal dealer.
Seconding Everest_Audio's comment, John Atkinson's measurements of the Usher indicate a measured sensitivity of 85db/2.83V/1m, less than their claimed 87db specification, while the Focal's are specified at 89db.

The usual confusion factor of 2.83 volts vs. 1 watt is present, but since both speakers are specified as nominally 8 ohms, and have a minimum impedance in the vicinity of 5 ohms, that is probably not significant in this comparison.

Regards,
-- Al
When I played the Focal’s at the same mark, the sound was “uncomfortable”.

As Ralph pointed out - distortion and particularly of higher harmonics is usually what makes the sound uncomfortably loud or just plain "uncomfortable" in small stereo systems.

Distortion can come on the source (a compressed Green Day or Red Hot Chilli Peppers CD), from your amplifier or from your speakers. Small speakers are most often the consistent culprit if you are using decent CD's. There is an article on Siegfried Linkwitz website about common midrange distortion and how it rises dramatically at higher SPL's.

It is surprising how loud music from real instruments can be without sounding uncomfortable but, for sure, consistent average energy above 100 db SPL is going to qucikly become uncomfortable. You can even cause IMD distortion in your ears at these high levels with midrange frequencies...although ultra LF bass frequencies do not become loud until you reach 100 db SPL...

Confusing...yes it can be.
FWIW - the Ushers show signs of compression at a mere 90 db SPL - so you can forget about clean 110 peaks that Ralph mentioned.

And the as for the Focals, well ouch the distortion from what might be the tweeter resonance is scary. I have always considered that tweeter to sound splashy or in your face - and perhaps that plot says it all...who knows.