Please recommend a musical sub for me

Hello folks, I am wondering if you could recommend a sub for a music only system. I alternate between four vintage 80s speakers (Spendor SP1s, Spica TC50s, Linn Kans, EPI 100s) and all are classics and excellent within their specific parameters but they are all somewhat deficient in the bass. I alternate speakers depending upon my mood and musical selection. I am running Quad separates (909 power and QC pre) and listen to everything except classical. I would like a sub under $1000 (new or used) that is flexible enough to blend with these speakers for a music only application. I am not interested in reproducing earthquakes and sound effects, just a seamless integration and a fast, quick, precise bass that keeps pace with the music and doesn't seem to be disjointed from the speakers named above. My room is fairly small (13 X 14) so this might be an important factor in your recommendations. Thanks for your advice.
mp666
In your smallish room, a VTF3 is overkill. you might not be able to turn it down enough!
The VTF2mkIII I use is fine into even my 5000ft/cube room.
It even plays well with my panels.

Your problem may be a near-cubic room.
Approaches to 'fix' may include, putting sub close to seating position....this recommended by Dr. Hsu. I heard this in his cheesy demo room up in Orange County, Ca.
OR. a pair of subs to minimize standing wave interaction.
and finally:: Some kind of room modifications with bass traps.
In <2000ft/cube multiple subs may be nutty/expensive, so I'd go with 1st or 3rd rec.
Another small sub I came across in the forums is the Martin Logan Dynamo. Are there any users who can comment on its performance in a music only system?
I'm hardly an expert, but after a similar hunt I wound up with an SVS SB12-Plus:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm

SB stands for sealed box, which while not quite plumbing depths as low as ported boxes, many seem to prefer sealed for music. It goes plenty low...

Lots of connection options on the amp, a simple equalizer (that works!), and reasonably priced. I like what it's done for my two-channel rig.
I have a small music room with dimensions similar to yours, and have tried quite a few different subs to match with my 3A de Capo i's. Good room treatments are a MUST, and I ended up with 2 large tube traps in the front corners, 2 smaller ones in back, and 6 total 2'x 4' diffusion panels on the walls. The best results I obtained were with an MJ Acoustics Ref. 100MkII sub. It is very un-colored and non-boomy. It does not over power the room, and is relatively easy to adjust using the remote control and LED display. They are priced well below the smaller REL subs and have very attractive finishes.
Well, it aint small, but my Vandersteen 2Wq subwoofers are very musical - fast, clean, and easy to blend with my mains. Used, this sub can be had for under $1000, somtimes under $900.