Passive sub for Magnepan 3.6r?

Intrigued by the fanatical praise for the Magnepan line, my buddies and I finally got the chance to audition same at length. The 1.6s were fairly engaging, though a bit bright to my ears, and wholly lacking in low end slam--overall there's a number of conventional dynamic speakers I'd choose for the same $$. The 3.6rs, however, truly are as awesome as their cult proclaims--they reproduce drums and vocals as well as anything I've heard and are incredibly transparent. We did an A/B comparison of the Maggies to comparably or higher-prices B&W Nautilus and Thiel floorstanders, and it was absolutely no contest--next to the Maggies, the others sounded veiled and boomy.
All that said, and with due respect to those that enjoy the 3.6rs w/o a sub, we all felt that the 3.6rs lacked bottom end impact and were, in effect, 80% of a great speaker. We then added a REL sub (as is often recommended), but still struggled with the integration--no matter how we adjusted the sub, the combo still sounded like two separate speakers, not an integrated whole.
So my question is, assuming I take the plunge, would the Maggies be better served by pairing with a passive sub? My concept, as yet untested, is that by using the same amp to power both the sub and the Maggies, I might get a less distorted, more seamless sound. While I'm sure this topic has been addressed somewhere, your informed opinions would be most appreciated.
loomisjohnson
Hi Marty,

Well I can't discount your experience, especially since you were taking actual measurements, nor can I explain it.

In an AES paper entitled "Dipole Loudspeaker Response in Listening Rooms", researcher James M. Kates compares the response of monopole and a dipole at various listening positions and toe-in angles, and he finds the dipole to be usually (but not always) smoother in the bass region.

In an unprinted supplement to his review of the dipole-bass Gradient Revolution, Robert E. Greene records its in-room frequency response, which he finds to be remarkably smooth in the bass region. You can see this supplement at his website:

http://www.regonaudio.com/Gradient%20Revolution%20Loudspeaker.html

Again, I cannot explain your experience. Perhaps the Maggies do not start out "flat" in the bass region; I recall seeing a Stereophile measurement that did not look flat, but it may have been their measurement technique.

Best wishes,

Duke
Duke,

I checked that link. If you can get that kind of in-room response (app +/- 4db down to 25hz!) without EQ, my hat's off to you. I've never gotten close in any of my rooms with monopoles, omnis, di-poles, or even bi-poles (Sunfire CRM) until I added EQ. Pretty impressive.

Marty
ML Depth with my 3.6 maggies has worked well for me.

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/pix/HTFer/
Well Marty, the resolution of Greene's posted measurement is pretty low, showing 1/3 octave bands in one dB averaged increments. So I doubt that the actual curve stayed within +/- 4 dB... but that's still impressive in-room performance (which isn't recognizable as such unless you're all-too-familiar with how truly horrible most in-room bass response really is!).
Thanks to all for unusually good and thoughtful feedback.
After digesting it all, my continuing quandry is whether the Maggies are truly worth the commitment--upgrading power amps, adding one or perhaps several subs, tweaking the room, etc.--when some more traditional full-range speakers are more of a plug-and-play (and certainly cheaper) proposition. As a sick Agon freak, I know much of the fun is in the setup, but I have to mull this over.
Again, many thanks--lots of smart people weighing in.