MDF vs. Steel Speaker Stands

I am looking for stands for Spendor SA1's, which are 12"H x 6.5"W x 7.5" D. Do you have an opinion on whether stands with steel posts are superior to MDF posts? Any recommendations on stands that do not cost a fortune, i.e., $150 or less? (The Spendor stands for these list price $2195 small bookshelf speakers are prohibitively expensive ($650); what were they thinking?) Thank you.

Neal
nglazer
I agree with Chayro, the Skylan stands would work nicely. That is what I use with my Spendor 3/1 speakers. I mass loaded them with a combination of lead shot and kitty litter.
Skylans work great..Sand and Kitty liter for me ...I use the 4 posters with 2/3 filled.....KLH 6/Skylan rehab project.Looks great and sound fantastic...Noel is a great guy to deal with too..........
Thanks to all for very hepful comments. I will contact Skylan and see what they can do.

Neal
The cheapest way to go is go Home Depot!!!!!!!!

1pc. of 4"x 8" x 6' ( Douglas Fir)..$8.00 (ask them to cut size desire)

1pc of 2" x 2"x ?..$20..(ask them to cut 6.5"x7.5" top base
and 12"x 13" for bottom base or larger?

Order 8 spikes for $30 and install.

I did mine and heavy enough as you can see in my virtual system w/Proac Studio 110..almost like your spendor.

Just sharing.
I have gone back and fourth on this, I have Skylan and Target steel stands for my Spendors, they do not sound the same. The steel has more top end and retail, the MDF more laid back. I have some Micro Bearings ordered to load the steel stands, I took the kitty litter out of the Skylan . I like the steel better at the moment but am still working on them. The Atacama stands look good and are not too high.