Plinius SA301 Or Bryston 4bsst2?

Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my amp, but would like to seek your advise which amp is more suitable for my Thiel 2.4 speaker? Thanks.
jonchew
I see. Thanks again. I really would like to hear Plinius, but I keep skipping over them for some odd reason...
Thiel used to use Bryston at trade shows to showcase their speakers. Also, one of their top people moved to Bryston after Thiel got new management. In other words, Jim Thiel himself chose Bryston over all the other possible partners out there.

I'm still sort of new to the audio game, but I have thiel scs4t speakers (1.7s in the mail right now) and a bryston 4bsst2 and loved it instantly. It was a huge improvement over my last amp. Thiels love power, it is a cliche in these forums, but a cliche for a reason.

I also think if you are thinking about a 10k amp vs a 5k amp, it isn't much contest. You know which will sound better, but I wonder if you'd be getting the best sound for the money this way. Can I suggest a different approach to the budget you have? Buy a used Bryston sst2 and grab a couple of Thiel SS1 or 2s used, one for each speaker. They are designed to integrate with your 2.4s. I got an SS2 with crossover for $1400. When people go after Bryston for thinner bass, you have a counter measure because the Subs can be adjusted because they are individual amped themselves AND you'll have a full range system. You'll still spend less than if you got the sb301.

While shopping for a new amp, I heard 2.7s with Ayre, Bryston, and Macintosh amplification of about the same level, and while they were all great sounding amps, my preference was Bryston. I later auditioned 1.7s with Primare amps and again found the the Bryston preferable.

From what I understand, the refinements to Bryston amps after going to the sst2 series have warmed them up and resolved the treble issues that I see folks anticipating sounding bad on Thiels. I have experienced no such harshness, just solid images that sound like you are there.
Well, it's not a bad amp at all, I have had a 4BSST for 8 years now, you definitely can do worse. But alas, it's middle of the road stuff when speaking about top class equipment, which is very expensive, but they (Bryston) used to have prices that were commensurate with middle of the road stuff. Now that they've gone up in price, they're not the good deal they used to be. However, I must admit, in comparison to certain more expensive brands, Bryston holds its ground pretty well, and I for one, prefer it more to McIntosh most of the time. McIntosh can be a little too warm and slow sounding for my taste. I guess I prefer the faster and leaner sound of the Bryston more.