Plinius SA301 Or Bryston 4bsst2?

Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my amp, but would like to seek your advise which amp is more suitable for my Thiel 2.4 speaker? Thanks.
jonchew

Showing 9 responses by dave_72

Oh ok, thanks. I would go with the Plinius for sound, but maybe not as reliable operation-wise as the Bryston.
I said "maybe" Bryston is more reliable. Just a wild guess due to my experience with the brand. I suppose Bryston kicks out their fair share of duds just like any manufacturer. Matter of fact, there's a you tube video of a very disappointed now ex-Bryston customer. I admit, I'm not familiar at all with using or even auditioning a Plinius unit. I hope this clears things up!
Plinius SB301 is in a different league from bryston 4bsst2.
It will be better for you to compare Plinius SB301 with bryston 14bsst2.

That's what I figured. The 4BSST or SST2 is not the most transparent or dynamic amp out there.

I would still vote plinius for its midrange/bass quality. In addition reliability of plinius is outstanding. I wish I could afford their plinius Ref SA amplifier.

Ok, cool, sounds good regarding the reliability. Why, what is the price of the Ref SA?
I see. Thanks again. I really would like to hear Plinius, but I keep skipping over them for some odd reason...
Well, it's not a bad amp at all, I have had a 4BSST for 8 years now, you definitely can do worse. But alas, it's middle of the road stuff when speaking about top class equipment, which is very expensive, but they (Bryston) used to have prices that were commensurate with middle of the road stuff. Now that they've gone up in price, they're not the good deal they used to be. However, I must admit, in comparison to certain more expensive brands, Bryston holds its ground pretty well, and I for one, prefer it more to McIntosh most of the time. McIntosh can be a little too warm and slow sounding for my taste. I guess I prefer the faster and leaner sound of the Bryston more.
I would try Pass Labs too, Schubert. X150.5 which is a Class A/B amp. The list price is around $5k. Of course you're not gonna pay retail...