B&W 800d's or MAGICO V3's?

considering a move from my 800d's to the V3's? is this a side ways move or will it be a big improvement?
koegz
Dhann,first off I don't know where you got "any" impression of my "not" hearing the V3 set up correctly!...A false accusation,or asumption.They were set up quite well,and personally I liked the sound.

Also,I DO like the V3! "Ugly Betty" and all!...Just my taste(which as I DID mention previously,means nothing...unless you are me -:) Sheeeesh! Lighten up,and be happy you have great stuff!

I just happen to feel that the Mini is "more special",for whatever reasons(to me,and maybe some others).

I don't know why this affects you so much.You can prefer anything you like,and I will have no problem with your opinion.

Also,I'm not going to get into a "where/how did you hear the V3" competition....It was very well set up.Period!

I heard it,and liked it,but like the Mini ALOT better!

You are free to feel otherwise,and if so,God bless you!We do agree that both are wonderful products.

Btw,I "totally" appreciate the build quality of Magico stuff,and hope other mfgrs realize this is one reason for their appeal.

Best.
Didn't get a chance to hear JM lab Grand Utopia, though they are on my list t hear someday. Heard Profile line Focals and like them very much. From what I've read, I'd expect the GU's must be outstanding.
Koegz,

Its registering with me that you are looking for a sound with more "muscle", like perhaps only the very large, most expensive full range speakers, like the Grand Utopias, can generally provide. If you can afford it and have the space for them, that's the way I predict you will go.

If you want to try something different and low risk first that might save you some $$$s and still provide the wow factor your looking for, I'd still recommend considering the Ohm 5s.

Keep us posted. I'm very interested to see where you end up! Good luck!
Sirspeedy - As you know, I am a big fan of the brand. I have owned both speakers and have heard them both all over the world many many times (I travel a lot and I spend most of my “down time” at audio shops). Properly set up, there is simply no way, one would think that the mini is “A LOT better“ then the V3. First, they are very similar to begin with. Yes the Minis are special. They do certain things better/different then the V3. But the V3, that is almost as good/different as the mini in these few certain areas, do things that the Mini simply can not do. All over the world, most dealers and demos that I heard confirm that. Most dealers prefer the V3 and I understand that Magico sell may more V3 then Mini. You may still prefer the Mini but to say that it is “ALOT better” is simply irresponsible. Unless you heard them in the same environment, with the same gear, properly set up, you should not form any conclusions.
"To say that it is alot better is simply irresponsible"

Dhann,give me a break!!!...

You seem to only read the stuff you don't like,and comment on "that" part!

I SPECIFICALLY said,on a few occassions that this was "only" MY taste....it STILL is,and no amount of bellyaching from you is going to change my "opinion".

Why do you care so much if someone prefers one product over another,in a hobby forum like here?

I believe I also stated the V3 was a fine speaker.

Btw,I like the V3 more than the Watt Puppy,but once again,that is ONLY me,and should definitely mean nothing,in the overall scheme of things....

Btw,I was totally unaware of any short warranty,and to be honest,with all the ballyhoo about great build,and non-standard type of driver mounting,using no screws,I don't understand why "this" is NOT a big deal....

With the asking cost involved,and the designer proclaiming other speakers are inferior,especially those with "inferior" screw techniques,and cabinet materials(according to Magico's press),the warranty leaves me very suspicious!....Why the heck should it be so short(if it really is under five years),if the product is built so well?

I really hope you are understanding of all this,and that to me at least,this is JUST hobby talk.

Best.