B&W 800d's or MAGICO V3's?

considering a move from my 800d's to the V3's? is this a side ways move or will it be a big improvement?
koegz

Showing 7 responses by sirspeedy

OK,I simply want to give an opinion,having heard the V3,and having a close friend owning the MINI!!

I'm trying to be fair,but obviously just my own take,and please no venom!!

The v3 may be a superb speaker,and I like it,and have heard it well set up....BUT...it "does not alot",for me.Yes,it is a very well made,and good sounding design...Ehh!
There's lots of competition "there"!

Yet,the MINI is "special",and here's why(IMO,only)....

It does BIG,does SMALL does almost anything asked from it...It also fits into alot more room situations.

Like some other designs,but it IS SMALL,for what it does!!AND "that" is BIG!..and a BIG DEAL!At least to me.

The simple fact that there is SO much power,and detail coming from a point source "exraordinaire",with SO little actual "cabinet" is something to behold,from an audible point of view....Btw,the cabinet is gorgeous.

In terms of appearance,the v3 is "downright ugly",though very good sounding...but...though the v3 digs a bit deeper,the Mini sounds more "special" to me...Why?...

Because it IS!!Coherence?Probably,along with more magic...

To NOT hear "alot" of cabinet(I don't care how well made the V3 is,it's cabinet,and driver distances make it more obvious to "my" ear,as compared to the MINI)like the very well executed Mini,is a wonderful feature.

The MINI also looks gorgeous,and will definitely inspire the thought of it's cost,to the buyer....BUT...once again to be honest(IMO only)...

It is overpriced....Probably there is stuff competitive,but I still have not heard "that",in terms of the size/bulid quality/gorgeous looks/\...

I anxiously awauit the TSD Mini Monitor coming next fall!!

Just my two cents!

Best.
Sorry,I meant the TAD monitor!...

A beautiful "three way",but the mid/tweets are coaxial,and I just bet it will be "special"!!
Goldenerguy....I recently inquired about the TAD monitor.Mostly because I like the mid/high aspects of "their" coaxial midrange-tweeter,and understand "it" will be employed in the Monitor.I must assume they know what they are doing,and have read very good press about the prototypes.They look real nice too(not a huge priority,but a good thing)!!!I've heard the two different generation BIG speakers,and "hear" something that can be very good(under the right circumstances)there.But they are too big for my future plans,and a bit too expensive for me.

Well,I did get a reaponse from TAD's designer(a very nice fellow,btw)and he informed me that the actual finished design of the Monitor will not be available until the next CES!He stated "maybe" at RMAF!...

I kinda like their attitude,because IMO the success of the "superb/gorgeous" Mini could really benefit TAD,financially,if they were to move on this market "now"(one never knows what the economy will be down the road).He also informed me the Monitor is still in developement and will be in the thirty thousand dollar range!!...It better be "really" good!...I'll bet it will!!

BTW, I LOVE the Magico stuff!!!...In case I give "any" impression of being a picky contrarian.....Or an antagonist(not my intent)!Even the V3, is a fabulous speaker in the overall scheme of things as it pertains to how I view speakers.I know it to be superb.

From "my own" perspective,having very good exposure to "private" systems utilizing big multi driver arrays(like my friend's huge Pipe Dreams with four eighteen inch subs,or another friend's highly modded BIG Infinity four tower design)or my own take on a personal system( sealed overbuilt three way design,that I LOVE, with one supporting external sub)...the "thing" I am beginning to suspect,is some special speakers can "DO" big,BUT are not BIG in themselves....I really like this!!..The MINI falls into this category(for me).I am "not" talking just footprint,and I have my own reason for this.

Why?Because I am not always going to be SO lucky to have a "purpose built" dedicated room,like I currently do.With my main speaker,specifically selected for the room's volume,and acoustic(not to mention a custom amp,built for the speaker,by Jeff Rowland).I definitely don't think my set-up is the end all of systems,but I have really put alot into it!!Only to get what I want to get from a system,and it is a constant building process.Often annoying,because I am picky,and have angst when I am at a roadblock(like now)!But I think I will soon be rewarded.....Yet...

I expect to "downsize" my dwelling in the not too distant future.My kids are grown,and I don't need such a big home.Besides being handy is a pain,and I'd like to move to a nice Condo,where I don't have to do any fotzing with the house.Others will do that for me,allowing me to divulge my audio interests more.

So,from my own perspective,and exposure,I think there is a growing trend in "really good/big sounding",but fairly small speakers.I'd like a little artistic liberty in the appearance dept,but sound/design is the main criteria.

When I do go to my friends' homes,it is always a multi system day of listening.So,because my Magico Mini friend has such a good "room load",with a demure design,it STILL "does" the power music almost as well as the BIG BOYs!...That kinda raises my eye,as to where the future lies for my perspective/tastes/

That's why I like the Magico Mini so much,and have heard some other very promising designs too.

I also have a "somewhat friend" who once had a huge super system,but bad luck forced him into an apartment.He kept his huge/amazing LP collection,but was very careful about going to a smaller "full range" set-up,and he has succeeded(JM MINI UTOPIA Be/sub)!!He really knows what he "wants" from a home set-up,and this helped him.

So,in my case I am always looking at my not so distant future in the hobby,and where I most likely will be listening(from a room size perspective)....I doubt I would keep my current speaker/sub,and just feel a design like a Mini would do my extensive LP/CD collection full justice.Whatever/where ever the circumstances.

I think I'm a bit too analytical,but I'm stuck being me.

Also,I believe there will be a real push for smaller,superlative monitor designs,because of the success of the Mini.To my ear,the "less cabinet" one has,the better the sound(especially with good room loading).

Of course if I hit the lottery,this is all to be disregarded,and I would go crazy,in a cavernous room,with something BIG!!!!....THAT is a "REAL" Pipe Dream though!

JUST some meaningless thoughts!!

Koegz,so are the fabulous NOVA Utopias! -:)I've heard them loads of times,and love them.
Dhann,first off I don't know where you got "any" impression of my "not" hearing the V3 set up correctly!...A false accusation,or asumption.They were set up quite well,and personally I liked the sound.

Also,I DO like the V3! "Ugly Betty" and all!...Just my taste(which as I DID mention previously,means nothing...unless you are me -:) Sheeeesh! Lighten up,and be happy you have great stuff!

I just happen to feel that the Mini is "more special",for whatever reasons(to me,and maybe some others).

I don't know why this affects you so much.You can prefer anything you like,and I will have no problem with your opinion.

Also,I'm not going to get into a "where/how did you hear the V3" competition....It was very well set up.Period!

I heard it,and liked it,but like the Mini ALOT better!

You are free to feel otherwise,and if so,God bless you!We do agree that both are wonderful products.

Btw,I "totally" appreciate the build quality of Magico stuff,and hope other mfgrs realize this is one reason for their appeal.

Best.
"To say that it is alot better is simply irresponsible"

Dhann,give me a break!!!...

You seem to only read the stuff you don't like,and comment on "that" part!

I SPECIFICALLY said,on a few occassions that this was "only" MY taste....it STILL is,and no amount of bellyaching from you is going to change my "opinion".

Why do you care so much if someone prefers one product over another,in a hobby forum like here?

I believe I also stated the V3 was a fine speaker.

Btw,I like the V3 more than the Watt Puppy,but once again,that is ONLY me,and should definitely mean nothing,in the overall scheme of things....

Btw,I was totally unaware of any short warranty,and to be honest,with all the ballyhoo about great build,and non-standard type of driver mounting,using no screws,I don't understand why "this" is NOT a big deal....

With the asking cost involved,and the designer proclaiming other speakers are inferior,especially those with "inferior" screw techniques,and cabinet materials(according to Magico's press),the warranty leaves me very suspicious!....Why the heck should it be so short(if it really is under five years),if the product is built so well?

I really hope you are understanding of all this,and that to me at least,this is JUST hobby talk.

Best.
Golden,I was thinking more along the lines of "town house"!...Detached...

Btw,funny,as my Magico friend has quite old neighbors,who simply cannot hear his rig,at night.Lucky guy!Believe me,the Mini does virtually anything a sane 'phile could possibly want,and the bass(when set up well)is SO good you just don't think about a multi driver design.It really got me thinking about "why" anyone would want complexity of large cabinet/crossovers/multi drivers....Yet...

I do have a group of friends that are not wild about it!Of course these guys like to "split" plaster,with their db's.Personally I dred listening to their set-ups(sometimes) because if you have superb resolution,you just don't need to go deaf....My age is taking care of that already -:)

My Mini Utopia friend uses the sub,only during daytime sessions.

Me?...Well as of now I am elated where I am,and in truth,will do nothing until the housing market improves.

I am in the process of rooting out a "pain in the tush" gremlin,that has plagued me for a few months.It resides in my Pre/phonostage(I hope),so I am turning the "fix" into a major upgrade by adding V-Teflon caps,and a few other tid-bits.

Yet,I always keep an eye towards the future!

Best of luck