Anyone ever refoam Bose 901's?

Wife brought home a pair the other day (garbage picking again)...I pulled the covers and the foam surrounds are not in good condition....cracks in at least 4.

I may hang them up in the garage?....maybe not. I found some repair kits at Ebay...pretty cheap, $50 for 18 drivers?
sogood51
HeHe...ya, she is always bringing computer, and audio components home. She knows I like to tinker with worthless projects...anything that doesn't amount to a worth while project equals me (-:

Dave
Actually I had a pair of 901s in the 80s. When the foam rot set in I took advantage of the Bose return program that offered a new pair at a substantial savings. I then sold the new pair without opening the boxes.
I have some 301's and 501's that needed re-foam. Fairly simple... There is a guy on ebay that will sell you exactly what you need. They are not generic kits but factory surrounds. Just take your time and follow the directions. One option is to find a pair of no name worthless speakers and practice so you are familiar with the process. That way you are comfortable when you start. The other is you can send them to a reputable repair person. I can send you a link if you are interested. They also have repair kits you can buy direct so you don't have to screw around with ebay.

Karl
Check out simplyspeakers dot com. They have rebuild kits for the 901 and instructions that show how to replace without even removing the drivers!
Sogood,

Many companies sell the re-foaming kits. I myself have has good luck using a company called Simple Speakers. Their Bose 901 kit cost about $70, and has 18 foam surround. Btw replacing the foam surrounds is pretty simple, just take your time and follow instructions.

One question, when your wife found these speakers, did they have the Bose equalizer with them?