Planar close to a rear wall? Quad for example?

In my room I have about 1 foot clearance for a speaker from the rear wall. Can this be done with one of the new Quads or is this just a pipe dream?

Ken
drken
You may want to consider a hybrid like the VMPS RM-30's. They sound nice, and can be placed like that. I mention the VMPS because I've heard them set up that way.....I'm sure there are lots of others too.

I have dipole panels, however mine are placed at 62 inches out.

Dave
you could put QUADS in the middle of the room or very near the side walls but the rear wall is a killer

NO sorry
I have to agree- Dipolar radiators just DO NOT do well close to the rear wall.
If you can completely absorb the backwave, it would probably work. Unfortunately I don't think that's realistically possible. The problem is, the two-foot round-trip path length difference (imparting a 2-millisecond delay) before the backwave energy arrives at the listening position puts it right smack in the time zone where the ear is most sensitive to coloration and loss of clarity from reflections. On the other hand, 10 milliseconds of time delay (corresponding to Sogood51's five-feet-out dipole speaker positioning) is long enough that the reflections will add richness and liveliness with minimal detriment.

I build monopole and bipole versions of essentially the same speaker. If I had a customer with the same positioning constraints you have, I'd advise him to go with the monopole version. That would be my advice to you DrKen - go with a monopole speaker for now. I don't think Quads or other dipoles are going to work well for you.

Duke
dealer/manufacturer