single versus multiple driver?

I have for years been thinking over the idea of a single driver easy load speaker with low powered set amps. I would love to take the plunge but am a little weary about the performance and risk. I listen to mostly classical,opera,jazz,older pop recordings and the like. I am presently using a pair of sounddynamics three way 300ti speaker and driving them B&K M200 amps. also bass is supported with the use of a Rel StrataIII sub. I am asking the question have any gone to single and been very disapointed and gone back to multiple drivers? I mean it really seems like a no brainer single speaker with no crossover should account to better sound? Thank you all and happy holiday.
schipo
single or multi driver cone designs have colorations. everytime i hear a cone design, i hear the cabinet and the drivers. i guess one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Mr tennis Stats are some colored loudspeakers heck most are just mylar I hear this on all I have owned or heard, stats have limited dynamic range,reduced SPL, rolled off on both hi and low frequincy, cost much, can be very large, if you want some dynamics or frequincy range most need crazy amounts of power and are very hard to place many are fragile and need replacement panals or rebuilds they also attract dust.Sure they do some things very well but they are far from a perfect transducer or loudspeaker.Glad you found what you enjoy but far from the perfect loudspeaker as are most all.
Gmood1,

I heard a Fostex driver (don't recall the model), in a tall, very shallow and slim transmission line enclosure (resembled a "RoomTune" acoustic treatment device). Aside from a lack of very deep bass, this was a terrific sounding speaker. It had less of the kind of coloration I expected to hear from from single driver speakers (less than speakers I heard with Altec 555 and certain Lowther speakers I have heard).

I liked the speaker I heard a lot.

hi johnk:

nothing is perfect. some stats have restricted dynamics. the problem is not in the treble.i have heard martin logans, quads, sound labs and other panel speakers that are not rolled off in the top.

my point is that an instrument sounds timbrally less inaccurate on a panel than on any cone speaker.

when i listen to most cone designs the performance does not sound real . when i listen to a well set up panel, there is some semblance of reality.

not all panels require a high current solid state amplifier.
I loved my 10.1 Bose towers
I loved my ML Aerius-1s
I loved my B&W 804s and 803s
I loved my Tyler Taylo's and Linbrooks
I loved my Super Abbys and Bailey sub
I now love my Eric-1s/Almarro combo

They all had weaknesses and strengths ... as always, live with them and then move on ... and soon I return to single-driver speakers, though my Cains weren't quite SDs. So it goes.