subs and small room

I am thinking of using a subwoofer for a small room. But won't the deep notes excite room nodes?
samuellaudio
Athipaul, I don't see how multiple subs in a small room "would only create nodes (peaks/dips) at mid-bass and higher frequencies".

The subs are not contributing at mid-bass and higher frequencies, so they do not "create nodes". They do smooth the in-room response in the region where they are contributing, as I will explain.

The problem in a small room is not too many room-induced peaks and dips; the problem is too few! In a large room you will have more room-induced peaks and dips bunched up closer together, and the ear tends to average them out across 1/3 octave intervals (called "critical bands) so the individual peaks and dips don't stand out - just the broader trends. In a small room, the room-induced peaks and dips are too far apart for the ear to average them out so they tend to stick out like a sore thumb. But by using multiple subs spread around in a small room (each contributing its own unique peak-and-dip pattern at any given listening position), we approximate the more dense peak-and-dip pattern that exists in a large room, and the ear's smoothing mechanism can work in our favor. I have done some simplifying in this one-paragraph explanation; you might want to take a look at Welti's paper.

Equalization is not necessarily the panacea it seems to be at first glance. Equalization can smooth the response in one listening position, but actually make it worse elsewhere in the room because the peaks and dips move around as the listening position changes, so from a different listening position the equalization may well be boosting a peak and/or cutting a dip. Multiple subs gives a more uniform response throughout the room, so that any equalization still called for will probably be beneficial throughout the room rather than in one location only.

Duke
Lot's of good advice above (I am now inspired to add a second sub!). To relay a little personal experience, for the past couple of years I had ported monitor speakers in my 11'x 22' room. I have my setup on a short wall, which effectively requires that I use a near-field approach. I wrestled with excessive bass "boom" for some time, but after some experimentation I noticed that I could plug the ports on the monitors and control the bass very effectively. Based upon this experience, I have recently decided to go with a sealed monitor (Merlin TSM) and added a Martin Logan Dynamo (10") sealed sub. Like Timrhu, I found the corner didn't work well and I have my sub positioned just as he does in his system pics (sorry my pics are not up to date). I get great bass response with no boom - except occasionally on poorly recorded material. So, the moral of my story, you can get good bass in a small room, but I would highly recommend sealed enclosures both for the speakers and sub. Also, experiment a lot with your crossover and volume levels (get an spl meter) and fight the temptation to turn the volume levels up. The goal, I believe, is not to hear the sub per se, but rather to miss it when you turn it off.
11 x 22--ouch. This is as bad as my office, which is 10 x 20. However, it works good for testing worst case scenarios. You will need something with a parametric and depending on the crossover point 2 subs can make a significant difference for both the peaks and nulls in your case.
Why I like a bass horn with its one massive null. Easy to work arround this sit 8-10ft from bass horn;) But dukes got a point.Under his hat;) And is right about the swarm of subs...
I suggest bass traps at the very least. You'll never achieve acceptable response without room treatment. As Rives said, a parametric EQ is also recommended but I would start with good quality bass traps, at least in the 4 corners of the room, add more later for even better results.