$40.000 speaker advise. Check out my list

Hello all,

I'm currently owning a system which consists of Mark Levinson 33H amps, Mark Levinson Nr 32 Pre-amp, a Wadia 860x Cd player and a pair Revel Ultima Studio speakers. Cables are Nordost Valhalla/Valkyrja.

I believe my speakers are the weakest link in my system and am considering upgrading. I listen to all sorts of music, from jazz, classic to pop/dance.

I have a few speakers on my wish list but they are not easy to find to listen to them so I want ask you opinion first before I start searching for a dealer the have one or more of these brands.

Could you please go through the list and rank them from 1 to 6, best to "worse" speaker and explain why you think the list should be in that order.

The speakers I am thinking about are (in random order):

1. Sonus Faber Stradivari
2. Verity Sarastro
3. Lumen White white light
4. Rockport Antares
5. Revel Ultima Salon
6. Avalon Eidolon Diamond

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Max
maxx1973
on your list i did not like revel ultima. just couldn't get the idea why they should be so expencive when i listened to them @ces.
6 - 1 - 4 - 5 not familiar with 2 and 3.

Keep the preamp/amp for now.

Definitely get decent speaker cables: Transparent, Purist, Synergistic, Audience Au24, Siltech, Acoustic Zen, Kubala-Sosna (Audioquest, Cardas, MIT, Blue Jeans, Signalcable, Monster, NOT!)

Use XLR (balanced) interconnects between your preamp and amp, if you aren't at present.
What is the size of your room. Most of those speakers need a lot of space. If you are committed to the ML, I would think the Verity line would work very well with SS and provide some added musicality. I love the Avalon line, but I would make a move to tubes. So let's start with the size of your room, and are you committed to your current electronics?
From your list:

1. Avalon. The designer does an excellent job of getting good power response out of his speakers. If I were going to carry an ultra-high-end "conventional" speaker, Avalon would be among my top choices.

2. Either Sonus Faber or Rockport. Rockport wins in dynamic constrast and scale, and the Sonus is warm and very pleasant. It's a matter of taste. In this case I'd pick the Rockport, but wouldn't blame you if you preferred the Sonus.

Neither the Lumenwhite nor the Revel really tripped my trigger. I haven't heard the Verity.

Best of luck in your quest,

Duke
dealer/manufacturer