Unable to audition used speakers a problem

One component I will not buy unless I can audition the item for sale are speakers. This severely limits available candidates, but that is OK with me. The problem is that whenever I find a local pair I would consider purchasing, the seller is unable to allow an audition because "they're boxed up". What's up with that? Wouldn't it make more sense to leave them connected or ready to be connected for at least a few weeks after they're listed for sale? Why box and seal them up before placing the ad? Does anyone else find this a problem or am I just being overly prudent?
rockadanny
Ozzy62,
You strike me as someone who puts little credence in the importance of front end equipment.
Incorrectly struck. Perhaps I was not clear in expressing that the front-end equipment, if properly engineered and built (such as my relatively inexpensive front-end: used Opera Audio Consonance Reference 2.2 CDP; Mapletree 2A SE pre; Van Alstine Ultra 550 Fet Valve amp), would likely not sound much differently TO ME than other similar gear built and engineered equally as well, compared to speakers. I assume (based on my experiences thus far, though I admittedly have not heard a great amount of equipment/speakers) that I would be more sensitive (liking/disliking) to different speakers than I would different front-ends. Should I never audition speakers anywhere else except for my room and with my own gear if allowed the opportunity? Of course not. I realize all of the variables involved. For example, one thing I would do to minimize variability would be to audition speakers at such a volume where room modes would not effect the sound. And as far as the front-end gear is concerned, I've offered to do what you've suggested - bring in some of my front-end gear. That way even the seller has an opportunity to hear different gear as well - perhaps a good time will be had by all.
"minimize variability would be to audition speakers at such a volume where room modes would not effect the sound"

Rockadanny, Hello, room modes affect the sound at all volume levels. Of course it sounds worse as the music gets louder but it is still there at lower levels. This is one reason why I listen to my system at the same volume control setting for every recording, as you are setting up your system to the room acoustics, among other variables. This way you do not end up chasing your tail around adjusting this or that at different volume levels which affects the percieved sound.
Bob
I recently sold a very heavy and large pair of speakers on 'Gon. The Buyer was a local buyer ( Thank goodness!).
I left the speakers up and running and actually required an audition prior to purchase. Why, because of these reasons: I am not willing to move speakers weighing over 180 lbs each more than once, I am not giving a return policy, I want buyer to view condition of speaker and be sure that they function correctly at time of sale,I want something to listen to until they are sold( not buying next pair until same and therefore not kicking tires on my next seller); I want to encourage a local sale if at all possible.
The security issues and inconvenience are certainly valid points, however, when selling something expensive and large/heavy, sometimes a little inconvenience has to be put up with IMHO. The security issue is less of a concern for me, but this could be a more major factor for many, however, I think there are ways around this. One example, might be to insist that all auditions are done at certain times and with the man of the home present. Perhaps have a friend also present if security is still a concern. What I also insisted upon if the Buyer was intending on making me an acceptable offer was a non-refundable deposit to hold the speakers prior to full payment.
In my case, not having to ship out of area was a major benefit, so offering a local an audition for a local sale was really no inconvenience compared to having to ship over 400 lbs of speaker to a sight unseen buyer...:0)
Just IMHO.
>This is one reason why I listen to my system at the same volume control setting for every recording,<

I don't get how you can do this. Every recording has a volume level where it "locks in". For example, you wouldn't want to play simple "girl with guitar" music at the same volume as ZZ Top. How about classical chamber music at the same level as Holst's The Planets?

Wasn't it Ivan Tiefenbrun who said that every recording had one volume, and one volume only, where it sounded realistic, or something to that effect.

Oz
Daveyf: "I want something to listen to until they are sold...not buying next pair until same..."

This illustrates how personal circumstances can differ. I know a friend who had to buy his next speakers first because an opportunity presented itself and wouldn't have waited for him. He also didn't have room for both pairs.

The situation with the living space, spouce and kids is obviously too personal to have any general rules. Of course, even a person whose circumstances are tight can accommodate one serious buyer, but a steady stream of curious and interested audiophiles, many with their own sources and electronics, would be something else.

So, know your situation; deal with a buyer or seller who is compatible; politely but firmly apologize to the rest.