What's the greatest bargain in SET these days?

Hi, Gang,
I response to my recent review of the Reference 3A De Capo BE speaker, someone wrote that if you really want to hear them sing, you should try them with a SET amp, or words to that effect.
That got me thinking. The De Capo's are 92 db efficient, which (correct me if I'm wrong) seems kind of borderline for low-power SET amps.
In any event, right now I'm running mine with a pair of Manley Mahi mono-blocks. They are switchable from triode (20 watts) to "ultra linear" (40 watts). I run them in triode all the time, and in my room, the volume knob almost never goes past 9 o'clock; more would just be too loud.
All that said, what do you guys think of running the De Capo's with a SET amp? And if I did, what's the best bargain in SET's these days?
Thanks!
rebbi
Charles1dad,

I certainly hope the tubes will last much longer. I would expect that running tubes conservatively will lower distortion and should sound better. However, I know of a number of people who deliberately run certain tubes quite "hot" and like it that way. For example, a friend runs 45 tubes in an Audionote Kageki (parallel 2a3 amp) and likes the sound, although the tubes don't last very long. I don't know if he just likes the sound of the 45 more than 2a3 (I prefer 45s too) and would actually be better off changing the operating parameters of the Kageki to match the 45 (primarily lowering the plate voltage). I own a pair of Kageki amps too, and would never run anyting but the recommended tubes for fear of damaging a VERY expensive amp.

As for the benefits to longevity of running stuff conservatively, there are plenty of examples of people who have old tabletop radios that are still being used daily that have never had tubes replaced since the radio first went into use in the 1940s and even earlier.
The lifetime of a tube is determined by the lifetime of its cathode emission. And the life of the of a cathode is dependent on the cathode temperature, which means that it is dependent on filament or heater operating voltage.

Operate the heater/filament too hot, and the tube will give a shortened life. Operate it too cool and life may be shortened. This is especially true for thoriated filaments, which depend on replenishment of thorium by diffusion from within the filament wire.

For best, long lasting tube life it is recommended that you operate your tube within the tube manufactures specifications.
Happy to say that I have a Dynamo 34se coming from Izzy in the next week. Having owned triode amps in the past it's something you can't get out of your mind once you've experienced it. I really had Turbo 845 in mind but just can't get my mind or aging back around 85 lbs & all those expensive enormous heat emitting tubes - I know what more heat means having owned tube amps for awhile. Iz says it should be incredible w/my Partial 2's. cheers
no way - it's a lifetime keeper just craving a different flavor occasionally. really happy w/the CDP & speakers too.