''Manuf. warranty '' with non-authorized vendor ?

I have come across a dealer selling gear that they claim have full manufacturer warranty on them. What if you find out from the MANUFACTURER that this dealer in question is not an authorized vendor? Would you buy anyways?
sonicbeauty
This is my second post. We will see if it gets through.
In line with Tim916's post, perhaps the reason why manufacturers "turn a blind eye" toward the unauthorized channels is that the units entering said channels may not be 100% meeting spec like the units that make it to "authorized" dealers. Instead of taking a yield hit, they sell at reduced costs with out any warranty...

seems a bit illegal (if true) but that is way out of my comfort zone...

just a thought...but it is odd isn't it... I mean how hard is it to know your distribution channels?

Simply answer is "NO". If the seller is an unauthorized vendor, you can pretty much gurantee that the manufacturer is going to be very hesitant about doing warrenty work. The reason why is that manufactuer is going to wonder, just where did the seller get "their products" and were these products "factory seconds", "gray markets", ect? One of the biggest problems happening nowadays, especially in products that come from China, is that a lot of products that are not good enough to go out the front door, are often "snuck out the back door" and are illegaly sold to the "unwitting buyer", from "unauthorized vendors". Of course, these vendor have no problems telling you that their products are "new" and come with a "warrenty". Of course, when something goes wrong, the buyer often gets a "rude awakening". Basically if the seller is not an authorized dealer, then I'm going to assume his products are not "first rate, authorized" products and as such probably have no warrenty attached.
hmm wonder just how much audigon inventory is circulationg around that originated from unauthorized resellers?
I hope someone with more expertise in this area would say something, as most of this is speculation on my part.
"hmm wonder just how much audigon inventory is circulationg around that originated from unauthorized resellers?
I hope someone with more expertise in this area would say something, as most of this is speculation on my part."

I think most audiogoners know what they buy is used and doesn't include a warrenty. Also, most buy from individuals who are not resellers (authorized or otherwise) or dealers, but are just hobbiest like themselves.

Indeed, I believe if you are a dealer or re-seller you're suppose to mention that fact. Of course, if somebody has an ad on audiogon, and inply in their ad, that warrenties apply, and they are not an authorized dealer, then I WOULD check with the manufacturer, because in most cases the warrenty only apply to the orginal purchaser.
The problem with service on 'grey market' products exceeds getting manufacturer warranty service on new(er)stuff. Most realize that this isn't going to happen. Nor do many manufacturers allow transfer of warranty to a new buyer.

The major problem, IMHO, for the unwary buyer is getting service on grey market products from either the manufacturer or their designated repair facility at all, the avasilability of which is critical for some exotic components, where the repairer would need a schematic to do the work, without regard to who pays the bill. One of their reasons for doing this is to provide support for their dealer network and discourage grey market purchases.

FWIW, used buyers beware!