Speaker for NAD C320BEE

Dear Audiogoners,
I have recently come to the hobby. My setup now is,

NAD C320BEE integrated amp (50 wpc)
NAD C521BEE CD player
Acoustic Energy Aegis 1 monitor speakers
Velodyne powered sub (80 watts?--it was $300 at the mall in 2000)

I'm looking to spend no more than $600 (new or used) to upgrade speakers. I would like a good all-around speaker--jazz, folk, rock, classical. The Aegis 1s are very good for some things (folk-rock, jazz), but not so kind to thicker music (e.g., Soundgarden). I am just starting to look around. So far have considering PSB (new, maybe Alpha T) or maybe Totem (used Rainmaker). Any suggestions greatly appreciated. In particular,
-Can I get new for $600 better than what I have now?
-monitor versus floorstanding given budget and amp?
-Is my sub worthy of pairing with good (c. $1,000 new) monitors?

Thanks!
abarnett
Thank you all very much for your comments! It will take me some time to run down all these suggestions, but it should be fun. Bob, in response to your last post, I run the speaker wires to the subwoofer, then from the sub out to the monitors. There is a single crossover dial on the back of the sub, which I have been setting to about 80Hz. So the monitors are not trying to produce bass, unless the sub is off. But I am intrigued by your suggestion--to scoop out the bass before the signal even gets to the amp section of the integrated--and I plan to try it this weekend. I notice now that the sub has RCA in and out jacks; the out jacks are labeled "80Hz high-pass output." So I guess Velodyne thought of this too. Thanks again for your very thorough comments--Alex
I'm using a pair of Quad 11L's and really like what I'm hearing (secondary system).
I agree. I have a NAD C320BEE working with a pair of Triangle Antal ESW and is like a match made in heaven. I have tried it also with a pair of Triangle Titus speakers with the same results.