Acoustic Zen Adagio, How Good Are They?

Just read the glowing review in TAS. Has enyone heard these and if so is all the positive press justified?
128x128rja
I sometimes get a bit amused at all of our "opinions" and how it may or may not affect a buying decision by someone reading here. But here goes!

In the past year, in my home I have extensively demoed/owned the following speakers: Wilson Benesch Arcs and Zu Tone monitors (both with a REL Storm III), Tyler Acoustic Linbrook, B&W 802d, Zu Druids with a Mini Method sub, Acoustic Zen Adagios (original) and Acoustic Zen Adagio (newest version with slanted baffles and other improvements). With these speakers I have only used integrated amps (BAT VK300XSE, Cary SLI-80 F1, Audio Research, McIntosh MA2275) and always Cary digital with a Wadia thrown in for comparisons sake. Cables by Acoustic Zen, Furutech, Synergistic and Straightwire with power by Running Springs and Richard Grays. Too many combinations to report on each matchup but I will make some general observations that I hope will help someone to make a logical decision.......try for yourself.....It's the only way to know for sure. Don't buy ANYTHING because some scmhoe, me included, says something is great.

As you will see, I have had tubes in the chain in every combo but that is not to say that tubes should float everyone's boat. I have heard most of the above equipment at show conditions, dealer showroom conditions and in my home. This next statement is importnant for those looking for guidance: THERE IS VERY LITTLE CORRELATION BETWEEN SOUND QUALITY WHEN AT A SHOW OR SHOWROOM and that of your HOME......PERIOD! If you don't demo in your own listening environment you are buying equipment for a different purpose than the aural purpose of listening enjoyment.

With all of the above in mind, I did not find either version of the Adagio shrill or tipped up in any way. The new Adagio blends the drivers better than the original, although the original is fabulous in its own right. I'm sure the 802d has found many a happy buyer in different homes and I hope the gentleman that bought mine is enjoying them. The Tylers are a good value and a fabulous on-ramp to our hobby as Bartokfan will likely expouse, although Bartok believes Seas drivers are the ultimate, which they are not. The Arcs were fabulous and I have never heard the larger WB speakers. Both sets of Zus are wonderful in their own right although driver integration was troublesome for me. The Tones REQUIRE a sub and the Druids NEED one.....both Zus will benefit with a better integrated tweeter in my opinion and....here comes the heresy (please no flames) could probably use a crossover to balance the tonal imbalances I heard in my room. The benefits might outweigh the tradeoffs...you never know. The Adagio is a wonderfully balanced speaker, top to bottom. Get it in your environment with your equipment and see for yourself. You may prefer other speakers for your application and likely will! At the end of the day however, this thread asked the question, "How good are they?" and the answer is an emphatic yes, they are that good.......if you think so after trying them in your particular application. Until you have tried equipment in you own home, its a wild guess and an uniformed opinion. But to evaluate a pair of speakers in a hotel room or warehouse with unfamiliar equipment is a shot in the dark. My 2 cents....peace.
Ghasley I don't think anyone is asking for buy, but audition recommendations. There are a vast number of possible amp/speaker combinations, so other peoples experience is a useful starting point. I agree about poor show conditions, but that can be helpful, any room sounding half way decent in a show, must have real potential in ideal conditions
I have also mated the Adagio with lower power tubes. At the moment, I have them being driven by a pair of Manley Labs MAHI mono blocs runing in triode for approximately 17 watts per side.
My showroom is quite large at about 1300 sq. ft. but I have them only 8 feet apart and sitting 8 feet from the speakers. The speakers are a light enough load on the amps to allow for good dynamics and enough volume to fill the room. Soundstage is unbelievably wide but them again, there is about 15 feet to the side of each speaker.
I have also run them with 8 watt 300B SET mono blocs and the sound would make you melt in your listening chair. Obviously there are dynamic and headroom limitations with such low power but sonically..........wow!
My personal preference so far has been 100 watt KT88 mono blocs with a tube pre, tube phono stage and/or tube CD player.
Yes, I'm a tube guy.

Bill
Thanks for your experience Ghastley. I'm auditioning a pair of Tyler Linbrook Signature Monitors looking to replace a pair of Apogee Slant 6s.

The Tylers are a very nice speaker and have convinced me that I need a lot more bass than the Apogees are delivering, but I think the Apogee ribbon tweeter has spoiled me. The Tylers don't have the high frequency sparkle, sharp imaging, and the same natural in the room quality on vocals that I like so much in the Apogees.

How do the AZ Adagios compare with the Tylers that you listened to in these areas?

Another question, the Apogees have the problem of the ribbon having poor vertical dispersion, so the sparkle disappears when you get your ears above the ribbon. How do the Adagios sound when you get out of the sweet spot? Is there a noticeable diminishing of the sound quality? Thanks for any help!

Tom
Hi Tomcy6,
I cannot comment on the comparison between the Adagios and Tylers but can comment a bit on the tweeter dispersion. The Adagio uses a unique, exclusive circular ribbon tweeter so it mantains exceptional horizontal and vertical dispersion just as a conventional dome tweeter.
I to have found many conventional ribbon tweeters to sacrifice vertical dispersion, not so with the Adagio!