Polk Audio LSi 15 - are these the REAL DEAL ???

I just came back from a friend's listening room where he has a nice set-up. Some megabuck amplifiers and digital front end, and for speakers, I had not noticed the manufacturer, but I assumed they were the ''esoteric, expensive kind''. After 20 minutes, he left the room to answer the phone, I stood up to check what the speakers were.What's this? Holy smokes ! POLK AUDIO LS i15 !!! I was floored by the sound, but more by the fact that a Polk speaker could find it's way into such ''high end'' company.

They sure sounded good, no make that excellent, but is it because of the excellent surrounding components or are they simply a well-kept secret ?

I am very much interested in hearing if others have also found these speakers to be good sounding for the money and if they really belong in a high-end system, or is the combination I heard just a fluke?

Any input will help as I'm looking for speakers right now, thanks all !
audiokicks45ee
The Polk Audio LSi 15 is equipped with a Vifa ring radiator tweeter, and I can attest to a giant killer value with this speaker. Not because it sounds riveting with this tweeter, but because the whole package is a bona-fida work of art. I own some expensive Totem Mani2 speakers in my ''high end''system . I purchased a pair LSi 15 as the first building blocks of an upcoming Home Theater system to be used with an (also upcoming) ARCAM AVR 300 HT receiver. The other day, just for the fun of it, I installed the LSi 15's in my ''serious'' rig. The sound is HUGE maybe a side effect of the high position of the drivers. Better yet, it was FUN and I could crank it up and get extremely good bass to complement the refined high frequencies and midrange. Let me tell you. I'm done with monitors. Once you get them on proper stands, they take up as much space, if not more than many speakers. Their imaging is legendary, but now that ''full range'' speakers are slim and deep, that advantage is no longer obvious. And I couldn't care less about the ''prestige'' branding anymore. I mean, there are so many ''High end'' manufacturers having their gear made in China right now, that a name no longer means the same as before. And I'm not knocking chinese products, some of them are well made and are incredible values. I'll take a beautifull, well made, and nice sounding speaker like the LSi 15 any day over the flavor of the month speaker. AS nice as those Totems are,(and they ARE exquisite) I just cannot justify keeping them after hearing what a huge sounding and near full-range gem like the LSi speaker can do for the equivalent of the price of some speaker cables. And there are many other speakers that are just as good just waiting to be discovered. To make a long story short, yes, the LSi 15 are a major real deal,(so is the rest of the line, but not by such a wide margin) at least for me.
I have auditioned the Polk Audio Lsi-15 speaker and agree that it is a great speaker. I have not always understood the bashing of Polk. I bought the Polk Monitor 10B in 1980 and it still sounds very good today. Robert Reina of Stereophile rated the Polk RT 25i the best small speaker below $1,000 about 3 years ago. And their car speakers sound very good. They have brought good sound to inexpensive systems much like PSB has done. I guess the bashing has something to do with using large merchandisers like Circuit City.
John Dean
Thanks Lush! I was inspired by your comment that ''Every single upgrade you do from now on, you'll hear with those speakers'' Well, I followed the word from the wise and upgraded my speaker cables to Nordost Red Dawn (from an entry-level Kimber cable, not bad in itself). All I can say is that the sound improved in every way. This LSi 15 speaker is indeed stunning, and not just for the price. Main improvements are: Bass is just as tight and low, but know I can actually hear the actual vibration of the strings, and the vocals are just eerie and grab you with emotion. I am set with my speakers for a long time now ''hopefully'' as I can now just relax and enjoy the music. One last thing, I tried this little gizmo called the ''Quiet Line'' that I have been wondering about it's merit for quite some time. It DEFINITELY WORKS in the right direction ! I would like to hear about others who have tried this also...and would appreciated input from other LSi 15 owners and how they got the best of this amazing speaker...thanks!
LSi 15 speakers are the real deal for sure.I love mine. For the first time in 10 years, I have speakers I can finally finally keep for the long haul. Never mind the Polk name, this company is dead serious about this product. Glad to see audiophiles are waking up to them.
I listened to LSi 15 next to Dynaudio Audience 72 and KEF Q 11, all paired with Arcam FMJ 32. When my sales rep switched from the others to the Polk, it was as if a thick quilt was lifted from the speakers and the music came alive. Sales guy nodded and said, "I know". A few months later I learned that the dealer discontinued the line. I own B and W 703 paired with MF A5 integrated, and I am very pleased with my system. Had I heard the Polks first, though, I'd probably have them and an extra grand plus in my portfolio.....