Do Audiophiles blow speakers?

Ok so I am bored and curious, I have never and probably never will over-drive an amp or blow speakers....but I want to know if this happens with trained listeners or is mostly done by the masses of listeners who dont care about critical listening?
I know that lack of amp power usually blows a speaker, I just thought some stories would make for good reading.
chadnliz
Back when I was into car audio...
I took the stock speaker out of the door. I hooked it up to my 500 watt soundstream amp and turned the volume all the way up and played a 60hz test tone. It was really cool sounded like a model airplane. the speaker jumped around and started to smoke that is before it melted. The second one just went POP! the third one jumped around and then quit no smoke :( The forth one had a meeting with a screwdriver.

I also took an extension cord that got run over by a lawn mower and hooked it up to my car sub that wasn't in a box. Plugged it in got some serious excursion out of the speaker! I don't think it blew. I really can't remember. So I don’t know if that one counts.
I have not blown a speaker in 45 years, but a ARC SP6 blew both of my Linn Isobarik speakers. This was the preamp that would turn off with low voltage and then turn on when it went higher emiting dc which fused both speakers. I will never buy another ARC component as they dismissed any responsibility.
In my early days I have taken out a few tweeters in some Polk SDA speakers. I can only take partial blame as it was common in the 1980's Monitor line of Polk speakers. Then again, the 80's were part of my party days.
I have not blown a speaker since.

Bill
OK, maybe this is a stupid question, but here goes: I own a 250W amp (MF A5)- and speakers that are rated at 300W (VSA VR-4jr's). Thus, I thought, I can turn up the volume as much as I like- even all the way- and my speakers will be able to handle it. So I tried it! I was, well, saddened- but not really surprised- to hear a tremendous POP (like a gun shot) from the left speaker when the volume was at about 7... I immediately turned the volume back down.

Now... my stupid question. 1. Since the amp's max wattage is less than the speakers handling capacity, why can't I turn the volume all the way up? and 2. does this POP mean that I have blown a driver? As far as I can tell the system still sounds fine. Advice would be very welcome!
Shortly after purchasing new alon 5 mk 11's I was listening to a very dynamic LP. I heard the gun shot - like a 30-06 and subsequently the tell tale buzz of a blown woofer. Manufacturer replaced on the house- one time only. My solution was to replace amp and have had no problems since.

mckeown