Good match for Merlin?

Looking to see what the feedback is for matching my system with the VSM Merlin 2-ways (MM). Currently running Ayre CX7e - BAT 51SE - Ayre V1-Xe - Hydra 8. Tara labs IC and speaker cables. Room size is 16X26. Listen to mostly jazz and female vocals at med volume. Would appreciate any feedback from individuals who have a similiar set-up as myself.
Cheers
efficacy
I had owned the VSM-Ms, but always ran them with tube amps (ASL Hurricanes, Berning, Joule OTLs). The only SS amps I heard on my Merlins were the Parasound Halo JC-1s, but it was not a good match at all.

I can tell you however, while between speakers right now (using the small but very good Von Schweikert VR-1 bookshelves) the naturalness and spacial virtues of my Ayre V-5X are nothing short of impressive. The Ayre (while not necessarily tube-like, and much less SS-like) has many redeeming qualities that make me forget the tube amps I've had.

Disclaimer: I still use, and always will, a tube preamp and tubed cd player. A tubehead like me has to have tubes somewhere!
I don't own Merlins, but respect them a lot and have a couple of friends with Merlins.

My suggestion would be that you look for an amplifier with a fairly high output impedance, as at least to my ears the Merlins are overdamped in the bass region. A high output impedance means the same thing as a low damping factor. Single-ended triode amps and OTL tube amps are good candidates. Such amps will "warm up" the bass a bit, improving the overall tonal balance. As a welcome side effect, such amps also tend to sound very good, especially when they employ little or no negative feedback. I have heard the Merlins sound very good on OTL amps with a 4 ohm output impedance (corresponding to an 8-ohm damping factor of only 2).

Duke
Efficacy

I use a Pathos Logos with my VSM-MM speakers.Source Levinson 37/36s.Played around with the tubes in the Logos and the sp cable.Best results obtained with Ei Elite 6DJ8 goldpins and Paul Speltz Anti-Cable.The results obtained are more than pleasing,in fact,I think its brilliant !! Balance and tone now spot on....A bit of fine tuning and careful thought can bring out the best out of your system.Not always necessary to "chase components"
I think it is important to replace the stock Sovtek tubes in the Logos.I also did not find the Audience Au 24 sp cable to be the best match in my system.
I have great respect for the heritage and philosophy of design of Pathos and Merlin.
I do like the idea of tubes.. ,at least on the pre amp stage...

Regards

Chris