What`s with the Hyperion HPS 938

Last year when the 938 went on the market , one rave review followed the other ,everybody seemed to be amazed with the level of performance this 4k speaker delivered. But the last months ,more and more stories appear of people hearing the 938 and dislike them very much.
One guy bought them for 1500usd but returned them after a trial home!!!
Or Steve Rochlin and companions are deaf or there is something really strange going on.
ctchen
Ctchen's post prompted me to dig further (I stopped searching for reviews and users' comments after deciding on the purchase) and find the contrast in the comments very interesting - 90% liked what they heard. The main complaints are regarding the lower mid/upper bass which are in themselves conflicting; some said that the speaker sounded lean in this frequency range while others claimed that the speaker sounded too "dense" in this region and add some chesty coloration to vocals.

I find my 938 to be very neutral in my setup so I gather all boils down to the front end electronics and room acoustics. Btw, I was using a pair of Proac Response 3 before the 938 came along.

Roy
I agree with the above comments too.

Although I have another theory but this is merely that, a theory:

My understanding is that Hyperion 938s have been out of stock for several months now due to the unexpected demand. New production just started being available again the past few days. What I dont understand is that bad comments regarding these speakers started to appear just 2 weeks ago when these speakers can hardly be found.

When a mid-priced speaker such as the 938s suddenly become recognized as an excellent value for money speakers, able to compete with speakers 3x its price, several people gets shaken up. When these things happen, some react negatively. It is very likely that some countered by posting negative comments. This is what I think is happening here. But as I said, this is merely my theory.

Cheers.
One of the biggest mistakes online posters can make against their fellow audiophile consumers is to hype product value. We've all seen it in spades on this board and others. How many times have we read comments such as this... "For X price these speakers are a steal" or "I don't know how the manufacturer can sell these speaker for this price?" or "So and so's speakers are worth 3x the price" or perhaps this one... "Joey D's X92 sounds better than speakers costing $25K."

Well guess what guys, these manufacturers aren't stupid and they read these boards with gusto. Small shops often times undervalue their products to get a foothold in the marketplace and rely on idiots like us to promote their product long enough create high demand and before you know it prices double. I can think of example right off the top of my head that followed this exact scenario and now every speaker in their product line-up has nearly doubled.

Be enthusiastic, but be smart for God's sake. Don't buy into the trap.
On another thread I read that production in China is causing problems with the quality.
Perhaps some speakers went on the market with productionfaults.