Amps to use with Von Schweikert VR4jr's

I'm curious what owners of these speakers are driving them with. I currently use a Gamut D200, and am wondering what others I might consider. For example, the Pass amps . Anyone got any suggestions as to what they have found to be a great combo?

Carl
brrgrr
I agree with the above. The VR-4jr is an excellent speaker and up to the task of working with just about any amp--it's also very neutral (which helps a lot). I've heard them with $20k worth of integrated tube, and at first thought that was kind of overkill--but the VR-4jr brought out all the glory this integrated.
Drhst20, Thanks for the response. I guess what I am looking for is to try an amp with more slam factor, but one that still retains the great sonics of my Gamut. It is a tad light in the bottom, I believe. Unfortunately, my isolated location precludes auditioning much in the way of quality amos, so my only solution is to rely on info I can gather from listeners and then look for used pieces to try. Buying new , then not being happy and selling for a large loss, is just not feasible.The minor cost of buying used and reselling quickly if it's not what I want are basically the cost of not being near a major center.

I had an ARC 100 MK 2 before the Gamut, and it was very similiar in sonics to my ears. The VR4jr's relaced a set of Thiel 2.3's, which aside from a slightly hot high end I very much enjoyed.
I am looking for crystal clear voices, as I tend toward female vocalists, good dynamics, tight bass, (this feels like a comment on the centerfold in Playboy!!).

Bottom line, like all of us, I want the emotional involvement of live music, or as close as I can get given budget restraints.

BTW, Dan, nice system!!

Thanks for the input.
Next question...how much are you looking at spending??? Sorry, I should have asked that before!!!
I have the 4 Jrs for a few months now and have learned a few things about them. I first had them in a smallish room, 13x18x9, this is where I broke them in for 500 or so hours. I did a lot of listening along the way. I had them there with either the Pass Aleph 2s or the Linn Classik. In my opinion neither have enough power for the Jrs to really come to life. The bass was rather overbearing in the smallish room, though I didn't spend a lot of time tweaking them since I knew once I broke them in I would be moving them to the larger living room.

The room they are in now is 18x26x8 and opens up to a stairwell and kitchen. That maked the volume of this room huge. In this room I don't feel like the Jrs can fill a room of this size with deep bass. They aren't terrible, just a little light on the bottom. Here I started with an Innersound ESL 300 amp, which obviously took a lot more control over the Jrs and led me to believe that the Jrs definately like power. The bass with the ESL 300 is tight and punchy, but like much solid state gear seemed to be just a bit sterile or cold sounding to my ear.

Next I decided to pick up a set of VTL 450 tube monos. These give me the tube magic I love, but definately reduce bass slam, and if anything may seem a bit more bright on top than the ESL 300, though overall they seem less fatiguing. I prefer the 450s to the ESL 300 overall. I am using a CJ Premier 17Ls linestage which is known to be a little soft in the bass, so that could be part of the problem. As is I would feel the need for a sub or to try a different pre/amp combination.

My next choice would be to try out the Paransound Halo JC1s, I have a hunch these might sound really good with the Jrs. Thats what I would try in your situation, or if you seem to get plenty of bass in your room, then you might consider some of the more powerful tube amps like the CJ 140s, Antique Sound Lab Hurricanes or even big VTLs. If are thinking Pass I wouldn't reccomend the Aleph series, unless you are thinking of the 1.2s.

Have you filled yours with lead shot? Did it strengthen or weaken the bottom if so?

-Ryan