Anyone pay 1st price, Even if it's fair ? Poll

As I peruse the ads all too much on Audiogon, I have flat out come to the conclusion, I am better off listing something higher than what it value is, than to list a fair price and list it as a firm price. All too often firm prices get views not offers.

It seems everyone wants to get a deal. I know the very term "fair" will spark some controversy, since the term alone is very subjective.

I'd like to know how others view this. Do you pay a fair price when it is fair to you, or do you still try to get a few bucks off?
Do you list higher than fair,knowing you will be asked to go to your lowere (fair) price?
Just curious,
Tom
carmantom
I think everybody has valid points with everything said, which bears out that the market controls itself. You get the occasional great deal but like so many have mentioned, you have to be quick on the trigger. I've been the 3rd to respond to an ad & it's been sold, which brings me to the original question. Yes, I've paid the asking price but usually on lower priced items & I price my items the same way. I just sold 2 items at asking price and a third I threw in shipping, although I usually offer shipping when something is only a few hundred or less. It just makes the transaction quicker to complete & I've already added the bone. I believe my quickest deal was completed in two days from the ad listing to the buyer receiving the item.

I read all the posts & checked the feedback of everybody. To my surprise, I have more feedback than anybody who has posted to this point, even though I'm sure everybody is owed a few good comments. Not that this makes me an authority on buying & selling, as there are many I've dealt with that have many more very good #'s to their credit, although I think I may have something to share.

Nothing wrong with making a lower offer but it's all in how you go about it, as lowballing has a negative connotation attached. I expect a little haggling when selling higher priced pieces, as it's part of doing biz & I always ask for a best price when making a purchase of higher priced items.

I suppose it all comes down to basic economics of supply & demand, although everybody has their own set of rules as to what they're willing to do. Last thing I want in a transaction is to look at something in my rack & keep thinking about how mucked up a deal it was or how I feel it wasn't quite fair, as this will undoubtedly affect my listening sessions. Same set of rules for selling, as I've had multiple dealings with the same people & it's pretty hard to sell a second time to someone you didn't have a flawless transaction with.
Driver, you're right! I'm 12 transactions behind you.
Time to sell off the system and start over.
I'll pass you yet!

FWIW, I just replied to a ad last night and offered full price, no questions asked. When someone lists a $2500 amp for $785, you don't try to lowball them. I saw it about an hour after he posted it....too late. I came in second, again. I came in second on a preamp, similar situation about two weeks ago.
It's very rare to get a chance to buy an item if it really is priced to move. Why haggle?
Here's my rule: I always offer and pay what the item is worth to me. I always know what that number is, and of course it depends on the market. Likewise I always accept the minimum the item is worth to me (ie to keep). I does seem like most folks here have to get "something" (ie free shipping, $'s off, or whatever). Often this is asking price.

The problem with playing the garage sale game is that you may lose an item to another offeror. If you don't want it that bad then I guess that's ok.
I pretty much always try to negotiate a lower price. I usually max out my budget when I'm looking to upgrade, so every little bit counts. I never feel bad about making a low offer. If it's treated as an insult, I'll appologize. If the seller doesn't take my sincere appologies, I don't want to deal with him anyways. But courtesy is the most important thing and I'm glad to say that things usually end up on good terms for me. Sometimes, we forget that many of us are here trying to buy something that we otherwise cannot afford. You never know if you never ask. There are a few "dream" items that I constantly keep an eye on. Since I can't really afford them now, I'll try to get it at my price, that way, I wouldn't mind if I don't get the deal and I wouldn't lose anything if I really can't afford to keep it.
I certainly don't have any problem with the lowballer's will be ignored phrase. Its their ad, their equipment, and their right to put whatever information in the ad they see fit. However, the phrase lowball offers will mean different things to different people. Thus, the inanity of the phrase. In my experience, I have seen that in most cases this phrase is added to ads where the equipment is priced extraordinarily low.