Why even bother?

I have some general questions.
How any audiophile could be serious about having tuner in his of her system?
The FM signal is so compressed that sound is way far inferior to the sound from any records, CD and even tape.
Why some hi-end companies are still produce them?
I haven't seen any discussions regarding this matter.
What is your opinion?
Thanks.
misterl
I have recorded from my tuner in the past
ONTO Minidisc, for a local show called
"Rock Of The 80`s". Now that i`ve recorded onto
120 Minidiscs, I DON`T need the tuner anymore.
So, it just sits there. Minidisc is SOOO nice,
the ability to edit, move, delete, combine,
alter, any song in ANY order, IS A PLUS!
I agree, many non-commercial radio stations don't compress very much at all. I volunteer (and had previously worked in management and production) at one and it was the same deal--we kept VERY little comp on the transmitter, and in fact have NO added compression on the program bus. It's all live mix over the air BTW, nearly no automation like you have at the cookie-cutter corporate joints, so the on-air jocks have to really watch their meters because clips will most definitely be heard over the air, especially now that they've installed a *blech* digital hybrid console *gag* Oh, headroom, I shall miss thee...

FWIW I don't have a tuner right now but would like one, particularly to listen to classical music--I don't know anything about classical and don't even know where to start with buying, especially since there is none available on vinyl around here...so it would be great to be able to hear it over the waves and get an idea for what I like, and for free no less. But I have no money or shelf space for a tuner right now, unfortunately...
If you happen to live in a city or town that has a college radio station, a tuner can be a treat. Antenna + good tuner + good station = outstanding sound. As good as any other component IMO.
I agree with Muzikrat. IF I lived in a town with with a good college radio station I may have a decent tuner. But I don't so I don't. With the stations I can get, I hear far to much of them while I'm in the car. I have a cheap Kenwood receiver $100 Circuit City that I bought about 6 years ago, and I recently set it up on the shelf next to my system - and connect it through tape out. It's mainly for news/talk, but from time to time I find a good Jazz or Classical program on PBS. The fidelity has been surprisingly good.
free music programs are nothing to scoff at. An excellent resource for sampling music,and with satilite options, and internet, etc, there really is a bounty choices available. There could be real adventure in this avenue of listening. The tuner like the library is one of the great shared treasures of a social life. Of course, you could run into ruins and muck and - + confusion of bad sonics but real meaning. It is kinda of exciting to me though.