Why even bother?

I have some general questions.
How any audiophile could be serious about having tuner in his of her system?
The FM signal is so compressed that sound is way far inferior to the sound from any records, CD and even tape.
Why some hi-end companies are still produce them?
I haven't seen any discussions regarding this matter.
What is your opinion?
Thanks.
misterl
If you happen to live in a city or town that has a college radio station, a tuner can be a treat. Antenna + good tuner + good station = outstanding sound. As good as any other component IMO.
I agree with Muzikrat. IF I lived in a town with with a good college radio station I may have a decent tuner. But I don't so I don't. With the stations I can get, I hear far to much of them while I'm in the car. I have a cheap Kenwood receiver $100 Circuit City that I bought about 6 years ago, and I recently set it up on the shelf next to my system - and connect it through tape out. It's mainly for news/talk, but from time to time I find a good Jazz or Classical program on PBS. The fidelity has been surprisingly good.
free music programs are nothing to scoff at. An excellent resource for sampling music,and with satilite options, and internet, etc, there really is a bounty choices available. There could be real adventure in this avenue of listening. The tuner like the library is one of the great shared treasures of a social life. Of course, you could run into ruins and muck and - + confusion of bad sonics but real meaning. It is kinda of exciting to me though.
Forgot to mention the antenna: it's a Sony AM-300 Helical indoor antenna with battery powered amplification and manual tuning. This antenna rocks!
Guys,

Again, I am not talking about regular listening to the radio at all.
My point is strictly about listening to FM thru hi-end system.
There is no way FM signal can camper to CD or record in the quality of sound.
Even a strong FM signal contains distortions. This are just rules of Physics.
Sum of hi-end tuners cost $2000-$6000. Why bother to pay for them and not to invest in to speakers, CD player or amplifier instead?
This is my point.

Thank you for your responds.