This Sistrum stuff works

Hi. I just got a bunch of Sistrum products to add to my system. The package arrived, with 2 Sistrum Speaker Platforms, 2 Sistrum Equipment Platforms, 2 sets of AudioPoints, a pair of Sonoran Plateau Desert Speaker Cables, and a pair of Sonoran Plateau Cactus RCA Interconnects.

I wanted to try an entire line of products that were designed to work together, using the unique vibration management system that the Sistrum and Sonoran products have. I thought this approach could have some merit.

I put the products into the system, 1 by 1, and listened for differences. I started with the speaker platforms. I immediately noticed that the slight "boxiness" that was present primarily in the lower midrange was almost eliminated. And the bass, and midbass was much more defined than before. Overall clarity seemed improved, but it was already quite clear to start with. One of the more interesting benefits was that I could play louder than before, with less audible distortion. Then I tried the equipment platforms under my preamp and amp. This improved the focus of the entire presentation by several percent. And again, I could play even louder before noticing any distortion occurring. The next candidate was the Audiopoints under my Teres TT. This was where I noticed an increase in detail and lowering of the noise floor. I had already used BDR cones and Cocobolo Cones under the TT, and these beat both of those quite convincingly. The final thing was the Sonoran Cables. These need some time to break in, but after about 4 hours of playing, this package is giving me the best sound that I have ever gotten from this system. The cables, even right out of the box, were quite open and detailed, with no high-frequency rolloff that I had experienced with some other cables I've tried, like Cardas Golden. After just a few hours, the bass was really showing excellent tonality and control. The mids were as open as my DIY cables, which had previously slain all comers. I expect these Sonoran cables to improve over the next couple of weeks, and that will be a nice treat, because they are already sounding quite good indeed.

Now, I have to admit that I have not tried a boatload of different cables, but I have tried a few. My cone and support situation was in need, and I didn't have a very good vibration control system in place before I got this stuff. Maybe other stuff can do very well too. But I can say that this Sistrum and Sonoran stuff does exactly what it says it does, and I am very pleased with the results that I got on my system.

In addition, I really like the appearance of these products, and that never hurts, even though my audio room looks more like a workshop than a living room. I go primarily for performance, and not looks. The sound is the key issue for me. But good looks are always a positive, if the sound is also good.

I would say that I recieved an honest 15% improvement in the clarity, tonal quality(especially in the low end), and in maximum SPL that I can now attain. Although I didn't measure it, I feel that I got an additional 3db SPL over what I was getting before. And with the improved clarity and tone at the same time. With my low power tube system, this was a very big plus, because it was like getting more power out of my amp. Sistrum claims that when you use their products, you get better efficiency from your system, including amps and speakers, due to proper vibration management. I now believe that this is true, because I experienced that in my testing with my system.

I could heartily recommend these products to others, because I feel that if they work on my system, they will work on others. The technology works. I'm happy.

While other isolation products may be very good, and also other cables may be very good, I feel that these are doing a great job, and have good neutrality, but let the sound and dynamics come through crystal clear, and from top to bottom.

This package wasn't cheap, at about $3000 retail for all the items I got. But it is not anywhere near the high price that alot of other cables and racks cost. I think it strikes a very good level of performance for a reasonable price. I can't buy $8k speaker cables, or $5k audio racks.

I'd recommend them for anyone to try out. They really do work, just as the manufacturer claims.
twl
At the risk of being pounced on, I think Sean's argument deserves some consideration. Technically oriented people generally are swayed by strong technical arguments. I have visited many websites where the information is not only useless, it is outright WRONG. A recent example - the claim that electrons in wires can travel at or faster than the speed of light. It is my expectation that Einstein, Bohr, Pauli, Oppenheimer, Fermi, and Compton are forging chains for these people to wear in the afterlife - with no hope of redemption.

I can easily understand Sean's pleasure in uncovering good, sensible technical information in a world of largely misleading hype, and I am glad for his input. I do not think that "listening" in a side by side bake-off is all that reliable information.
Hi Judit, What ever works is all that matters. Please forgive me if i disagree with your side by side bake-off theory. How else would you know what tastes best?
Ah - the correct metaphor. That is what you actually get with side by side comparisons - a taste. Sometimes a bitter disappointing taste, sometimes a glorious moment. However, it is mostly subjective, not objective truth.
We all need to carry a cushion so as to dampen the fall of each others ego. All of us here put much time and energy into this thing called hi-end audio. We also put much of ourselves into what we would like to be our own recreation of live sound. Our ways and means and personalities define the system we own. Its is our nature and our right to disagree. Some times reading other opinions that I differ with make wants me to scream down the digital highway "hey ya just don't get it do ya". I find it difficult to bite my own sarcastic tongue. I welcome a good read and the friendships I feel I have kindled on these forums. Tom
Let's all go to a retreat together and bond. Then get naked, get into a hot tub, smoke some doobies, and talk about audio heaven, while we listen to Inagoddadivida, by Iron Butterfly, through outdoor Bose speakers. That would be a good thing. Keith, you too, jump into the hot tub with us...peace guys, warren