I get a "clicking" on some of my burnt CD's, why?

When I burn cd's, some of the burnt discs end up with a clicking sound on some of the tracks. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks
whatsthisone
I am using Adaptec, easy cd creator 4. I usually burn disc to disc. The clicking noise actually is not from the burn. If I rip the disc to the hard drive, the same clicking noise is on the disc. Even when I reburn the disc, or borrow the same disc and burn it, the clicking still remains. I think it is the CD-rom, if so, should I just replace it?
I experienced the same thing. It seemed to sometimes get gradually worse, sounding like wood crackling in a fireplace, until it finally crescendoed with a big pop. Then it would usually disappear. The crackling was part of the recording. No one could give me a definitive explanation of why it was happening but I eventually concluded that it was the cd rom used to extract the wav-files. I ended up buying a plextor cd burner - which are reviewed as being the best for burning in terms of audio quality and reliability. I use the burner to both extract the files to the harddrive and then to burn the cd. I also use verbatum cdr's. I haven't had a bad burn since.
I use exact audio copy. I have found though that if you burn you audio cd's back out to the cdr too fast you can run into problems. All audio cd's I burn at at 4x max.
It shouldn't be the cd rom.

try Exact audio copy, burn at a low speed, somewhere around 4 or 8x, and you shouldn't have any problems.

the cool thing about EAC is that if there are any errors in the extraction process it will tell you before you burn the disc and create another coaster!
here's a good explanation of clicking:

http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/primer.htm