How did you get into this hobby?

I grew up listening to small boom boxes, never heard even a Mid-fi system.

When i joined the military, i first started seeing some component systems. Bass pumping, louder than the big bang.
I thought, "How cool"

Bought my first reciever a few months ago, and a couple low end speakers. Ever since then ive been upgrading.

Now my current system retails new at over 8k(everything included) paid under 6.5k, and with upgrades ive spend over 11k so far.

Been doing this for maybe 5 -6 years
audiophanatik
My wife bought me a pair of Grado SR80 headphones to go with an MP3 player for Christmas 4 or 5 years ago. Suddenly I was hearing details in the music that I never imagined existed. I fell in love with the sound immediately and have been chasing for higher quality ever since. I'm always hearing a piece of music, a guitar solo, etc, while driving, and I'll say to myself, "I can't wait to hear that again on a Hi-Fi system." My wife regrets the day she bought me those headphones.
Everything started when my dad let me sit with headphones listening Mozart, I was 3 years old... In school I started to save for my first "upgrade": some unit consisting of LP and Tape in one with two funny one-way speakers. And, so on...
played in the band in jr.high and high school- we had a record/playback system in both rooms (AR speakers, ampex tape decks, mikes on boom stands, etc.) begged my parents for a reel to reel (concord)- alligator clipped to a blaupunkt hi-fi/sw radio. later got a fisher compact stereo (turntable built onto a receiver). had an all-county band clinic at the high school one weekend- a guy shows up with a HUGE ampex recording rig. later i see peter mcgrath's studer a-80 with levinson electronics at his store. well, that's enuf for now- i have to go wipe my chin...
When I was about 11 months old (as my Mother tells me) I would crawl over to the "hi-fi" system (one of those pieces of furniture with 4 legs and a top that opened up to expose a turntable and an AM-FM stereo) and lay under it.

I wonder if the imaging was best down there?

My parents actually let me sleep under the hi-fi instead of taking me to bed.

They don't make parents like that anymore...
I got into punk and was trying to find unusual import records and found they always sounded better - Japanese CD's and UK LP's. Bad turntable, bad move - I got rid of my records. Decided I couldn't live with CD's a few years later and threw out my boombox and sold my CD collection (several thousand). I ate lunch off the proceeds for 18 months. When I threw out the boombox I vowed I would create a system I could enjoy. Many of the records I had thrown out are now worth more than a hundred dollars a piece. I work at home most of the time and almost always have music on. I added it up one time and I have a little over three months of music (24 hours a day, everyday) if I start and listen through the collection. Why not invest in equipment to enjoy it? Now I'm married and have a (nearly) crazy person system, but it's easy to use and to live with, and never grates. Even my wife likes it and enjoys it, despite some initial reservations. Plus, with the 6 plan Netflix, it serves a second purpose.