The Beatles

What the hell is the fascination with the beatles??? Please can anyone tell me why anybody likes them??? They were horrible musicians, their music was sugarcoated pop with cute hooks and they took themselves to be serious music writers with a message. Beethoven would probably would have laughed
shubertmaniac
shubertmaniac; so they let 3-year-olds drive in ny during the mid-60's? i remember listening to kvod back in '64, driving down dark dirty streets, trying to pick up some college girls. shubert comes on while, with windows down, we pull up to a whole suburban full of hot pi phi's. at our urging they roll their windows down while i do the same, accidently hitting the radio's volume knob, allowing my favorite strains of the trout quintet to flow loudly through my 2 1/2 speaker system. not 30 seconds go by and, as if planned, the 9 of 'em strain to get their respective heads out the windows to hurl their guts out. i drive away quickly, changing stations and hit on kcfr. bruckner's playing, still real loud, as we pass by a bunch of skinhead precursors and they look right at me giving the hitler salute and yelling "sieg heil." my head's spinning now as i ,out-of-control, slam into a hundred-year-old white oak. three months later i start to come outta my coma. i feel ok but the neurologist tells me i've lost 3/4 of my cerebrum. eight months later i can function again, well sorta, but find i suffer from a wierd manifestation of my brain loss: all i can stand to listen to now is shubert and bruckner. girls won't come near me but, hey, i don't care 'cuz i know, even with only a quarter of my brain, i can still comprehend the real meaning of rock 'n roll, even tho i'm incapable of doing it myself.
Hi, I'm new here, so don't know all the "rules." Looks like this thread was designed to foster disagreements, which it has. Some have already said this but let me put it into my own words: Beethoven was the genius of his time; the Beatles were of theirs. Hard to understand how anybody could argue these points, though it appears that some, particularly Shubertmaniac, are too prejudiced to admit them. Just my view. Don't mean to offend.
Hi I agree with Rosebud. If we can't keep it civil perhaps audiogon should delete messages that are nor to the point. If you don't like the Beatles fine, but lets keep it civil and to the point. The Beatles were in my mind the greatest their generation, and will always be remembered that way.
Hi Do you remember the english invasion I do I remember the beatles when they where introduced on the Ed Sullivan show how about you They where a young group of musicians having alot of fun trying to make it big which they did No matter what your views towards them they are one of the all time greats Alot of other greats followed them and history proves it So whats your point slamming them Thanks
Well Shubertmaniac if you hear classical form in Bruckner's music I fail to see where. Classical form is so obvious to me and is readily identified. Certainly it can be heard in the music of many of the Romantic era composers. Schuberts structural form in his Symphonic work has its foot squarely in the Classical era, and to connect Schubert with Bruckner, I see not how. The last great Romantic era composer who’s music reminds me of the Great Classical era composers is Brahms. His Symphonic work reminds one of Beethoven to a remarkable degree. What I hear in Bruckner is certainly some quite beautiful music that never seems to go anywhere or develop. To paraphrase the Kapelmeister in the film "Amadeus" "too many notes", like Charles Dickens got paid for the # of words such it seems with Bruckner's notes. That is the problem. I'm listening and unlike Beethoven, Brahms, Schuman (who was one of the great romantic composers who wished he WERE a Classical composer), and many others I get disinterested. And that is to say NOTHING about Mozart who could give lessons to all less Beethoven in combining form, structure and musical ideas into a musical whole. As you say in your opening "no cute hooks" to draw you in.