Best recording / performance Dvorak Cello conc.

in B minor, I think.

I mislaid my penguin guide and I'd like to replace a very old LP (that cost 25 cents) with a CD.

Thanks

Sean
seandtaylor99
Here's another hands-up for Helmerson/Jarvi on BIS. :) This CD is one of my faves, I keep returning to it. This is very engaging, emotional and simply beautiful. Catalog number is BIS-CD-245 and it's a very early CD, all the way from 1984. It still sounds excellent though, no worries!
Haven't listened to recordings of this work enough to have an opinion on which I favor, but because a poster 2 years ago referred to Gramaphone magazine and the Penguin Guide, I feel entitled to pass on the opinions expressed on my favorite source of reviews, Classicstoday.com, FWIW.

The Rostropovich/Giulini recording was judged the least successful of Rostropovich's many recorded performances, but the fault was attributed to Giulini ("My God, he's boring!"). The Rostropovich collaborations deemed best were those with Karajan, Talich and Ozawa. Historic recordings judged to be great performances but with poor sound are Casals as both soloist and conductor of the Barcelona orchestra and Feuermann/Sargent (both on Naxos historical). Also favorably cited are Ma/Masur (Sony), Helmerson (BIS) and, more recently, Queyras/Belohlavek (Harmonia Mundi). Recordings by famous cellists that were deemed less successful are Ma/Maazel and DuPre/Barenboim. No comment on Kliegel's recording, but the Classicstoday reviewers generally regard her work highly.
Dougmc, now this makes me curious to hear Rostropovich's Dvorak with Karajan on Deutsche Grammophon.

I can understand why du Pre/Barenboim was deemed less successful. Du Pre recorded this concerto late in her career and her health was already declining by that time. Still, not even considering this, I love the recording and enjoy it every time I listen to it.
Dougmc mentioned the Queyras/Belohlavek version. I just recently got this recording. An excellent performance and the recording quality was very high quality as well. I was really taken by the included piano trio, the 'Dumky'. An abundance of riches, IMHO. I've just ordered a similar recording (same crew/orchestra/hall/label) of the VC and its chamber music. I can't wait. :-)
Audiophile 1
The Classicstoday.com reviewer was somewhat less kind than you in the reasons for the perceived shortcomings of the Du Pre/Barenboim recording. In general, the reviewers at this website think Du Pre had talent but a limited range of interpretive modes and she sometimes experienced technical difficulties. They all agree her recording of the Elgar concerto is great, but also believe that British critics and fans overlook her shortcomings because multiple sclerosis cut short both here career and her life. Here are links to reviews of two recordings she made of the Dvorak concerto:
http://classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=8040
http://classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=2819

Newbee
If you're interested, here is a review of the recording of the Dvorak violin concerto you just ordered:
http://classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=8067