The problem with the music

There are lots of people who frequent this site that have spent significant amounts of money to buy the gear that they use to reproduce their music. I would never suggest that you should not have done that, but I wonder if the music industry is not working against you, or at least, not with you.

For the most part studios are using expensive gear to record with, but is it really all that good? Do the people doing the recording have good systems that can reproduce soundstage, detail and all the other things that audiophiles desire, or do they even care about playback?

I know there are labels that are sympathetic to our obsessions, but does Sony/Columbia, Mercury, or RCA etc. give a rats #$%&@ about what we want?

Recordings (digital) have gotten a lot better since the garbage released in the mid 80's. Some of them are even listenable! BUT lots of people are spending lots of money to get great music when the studios don't seem that interested in doing good recordings. Mike Large, director of operations for Real Worl Studios said "The aim of the music is to connect with you on an emotional level; and I'd be prepared to bet that the system you have at home does that better than any of the systems we make records on."

Do recording engineers even care about relating the emotion of the music, or are they just concerned about the mechanics?

What do you think, and can/ should anything be done about it?
128x128nrchy
Believe me, No recording engineer is part of the problem. It's the mass production end of things that screw things up. Any master is better than what you get to purchase. Even the worse of the masters.
There is no problem with the music. It is what it is. I would rather listen to an attenuated, very low dynamic range CD of Furtwangler's 1944 recording of Beethoven's 5th Symphony than the best recording of some third rate rock group. Of course a better recording technically makes the listening a more enjoyable or even a sublime experience. The Raphael String Ensemble of Brahm's two String Sextets engineered by Hyperion's Tony Faulkner is one such recording. A great system will only make that great recording reach its potential.
...has the recording industry ever been interested in, or rather, concerned about, making (audiophile) quality recordings...
Oh yes. Already in the '60s companies were making concerted efforts to improve the qualty of their recordings. This isnot to say they don't do so now (some contemporary classical recordings are very good and far outclass the actual musical performance IMO).

Unfortunately, however, the cd versions of many older recordings are abysmal.
Unlike much of the classical stuff, contemporary rock/etc recordings are often disappointing (bloated upper bass, pronounced mid-highs, etc).
while i agree that (some) newly recorded music sounds like it was recorded on a kenner close n play i disagree that cd's have some how been overlooked by the engineer's in the studio & that the recordings are geared to mp3 format with the exception of brittany spears type crap.

my tastes in music are very wide from artist like miles davis & red garland to sepultura & disturbed with the recordings having been made right from the very introduction of cd's to the disturbed cd im listening to right now that was released a little over a year ago & for the most part im very satisfied with the quality of the recordings.

allthough i dont agree with cinematic systems delevery of what he said or even the fact that nrchy's rig was commented on in such a way i do agree that you cant just plop any old cd player into a rig & expect it to give a great performance & the same thing can be said about spinning vynal,my rig sucks with vynal but excells to the extreme with digital.

also for a guy to say that NEW MUSIC SUCKS shows me that no matter how the music is recorded he will not be happy with it,who would think its recorded well if they hate the artist?

keep in mind im not commenting on nrchy's rig here as i know absolutely nothing about his set up but i also gotta agree with cinematic systems comment on power cords,i see a ton of members who arent happy with the sound they are getting spend ridiculous amounts of time & cash fartin around with power cords,power conditioners & cabling trying to make a poorly matched system give acceptable sound & it will never happen.

if your not happy with how your rig is presenting the music weather it be from cd or vynal you will not fix it by swappin a few cables around you need to fugure out which component is causing it & deal with accordingly.

im no expert on anything but i do know that if anybodys blaiming the recording industry & their supposed lack of recording skills for why their rig aint makin it then its gonna be one hell of a long haul.

mike.
Cinematic_systems while I am not as smart as you, so I am incapable of putting together a quality system (appearantly only people with the same gear as you are capable of this, does this mean that all the other manufactureres should just go out of business?), you ignore the comments made by Mike Large. He is deeply involved in the process, but maybe he too doesn't know as much as you.

What level of system does a person have to own to be able to hear or comment on the quality of recordings? If I only have a boombox will that prevent me from hearing the difference between and good CD and a poorly recorded, mastered, or produced CD?