Yes remasters/ HDCD

A number of times on here people have asked about the best sound quality of various Yes albums available on CD.

I have previously reviewed the complete Rhino remasters set on Lugs http://lugsmusicreviews.com.

Last week I at last tracked down a copy of a Japanese import HDCD version of Close To The Edge.
I have to say I was very impressed by the sound quality,it is louder and clearer than the Rhino version-of course I can't state if this is true for every release but I have to say the HDCD versions (remastered by a Japanese gent whose name I don't have at hand) seem the way to go.
These versions unlike the Rhino ones only contain the original track listing.
ben_campbell
4yanx
Thanks for the post and the link. As a Yes fan since 1972, I have infrequently looked for new media over the years. I have a few of their remastered cd's. I think I visisted the discography site years ago, but this is a reminder for me to get back to it. By the way, in my previous post I failed to mention Yes' masterful drummer Alan White.
I just got the Rhino 'Fragile' remaster and it sounds very detailed,smooth and focused.Very wide and deep soundstage also.
The best 'Yes' CD I have heard.
Whats the point of buying HDCD's if you dont have a decoder?
I have a few HDCD's and they all sound very good,but I wonder how they would sound in a CD player with a HDCD decoder?
HDCD never really took off,did it?
David HDCD recordings tend to sound good anyway-having previously had a DAC with the decoder and now living without it.

The point is as my thread states-Close To The Edge HDCD remastered by Isao Kikuchi sounds better than the Bill Inglot Rhino remaster and my Ayre CX-7 has no decoder.
Ben-Thanks for the clarification.
I see many titles,especially ROCK recordings being remastered HDCD.
I thought this was a forgotton technology.
Plus,how many people have HDCD decoders now days?
I also see some Chinese HDCD players coming out but I always thought 'who cares'
Whats up with HDCD Ben?
Nothing wrong with it David indeed I don't think I ever heard a bad HDCD recording.
I would guess it is popular in Asia hence the Yes remasters only appearing there.

From an Audiophile point of view it's been surpassed by SACD and DVDA-these are the direct competition and HDCD is now seen as yesterday's news.