Yes remasters/ HDCD

A number of times on here people have asked about the best sound quality of various Yes albums available on CD.

I have previously reviewed the complete Rhino remasters set on Lugs http://lugsmusicreviews.com.

Last week I at last tracked down a copy of a Japanese import HDCD version of Close To The Edge.
I have to say I was very impressed by the sound quality,it is louder and clearer than the Rhino version-of course I can't state if this is true for every release but I have to say the HDCD versions (remastered by a Japanese gent whose name I don't have at hand) seem the way to go.
These versions unlike the Rhino ones only contain the original track listing.
ben_campbell
David HDCD recordings tend to sound good anyway-having previously had a DAC with the decoder and now living without it.

The point is as my thread states-Close To The Edge HDCD remastered by Isao Kikuchi sounds better than the Bill Inglot Rhino remaster and my Ayre CX-7 has no decoder.
Ben-Thanks for the clarification.
I see many titles,especially ROCK recordings being remastered HDCD.
I thought this was a forgotton technology.
Plus,how many people have HDCD decoders now days?
I also see some Chinese HDCD players coming out but I always thought 'who cares'
Whats up with HDCD Ben?
Nothing wrong with it David indeed I don't think I ever heard a bad HDCD recording.
I would guess it is popular in Asia hence the Yes remasters only appearing there.

From an Audiophile point of view it's been surpassed by SACD and DVDA-these are the direct competition and HDCD is now seen as yesterday's news.
Thanks Ben- Good to chat with you again.It's been a while.And thanks again for the Floyd info.

I guess if it just sounds good,who cares if its CD,HDCD,SACD,DVD-A,vinyl (first love) or singing in the shower!
Yesssongs...best rock live guitar in history...Yours is No disgrace and Perpetual Change/end of Starship Trooper in my opinion have the most awesomely complete guitar solo's ever...Howe simply connglomerated rock, Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery and others...all while he followed the logic and smelodic structure/rythm of the songs...he never goes off into LA-LA guitar solo land...