Yes remasters/ HDCD

A number of times on here people have asked about the best sound quality of various Yes albums available on CD.

I have previously reviewed the complete Rhino remasters set on Lugs http://lugsmusicreviews.com.

Last week I at last tracked down a copy of a Japanese import HDCD version of Close To The Edge.
I have to say I was very impressed by the sound quality,it is louder and clearer than the Rhino version-of course I can't state if this is true for every release but I have to say the HDCD versions (remastered by a Japanese gent whose name I don't have at hand) seem the way to go.
These versions unlike the Rhino ones only contain the original track listing.
ben_campbell
Thanks Ben. I have always been on the lookout for the best possible pressings of CTTE. It has remained my favorite Yes work. I have the Rhino CD, the original Atlantic vinyl (late pressing).

are you aware of any reissues, or available HQ vinyl reissues?
Slipknot I agree CTTE is probably the definitive Yes album.

I'm not up on the vinyl to be frank perhaps others can help here,I've certainly seen pressings from various countries that go for high prices but I suspect that is more down to collectability than sound quality.
Gentlemen--

FWIW, I'd suggest consulting the archives at alt.music.yes (usenet group). The Japanese HDCDs have been discussed there extensively, and I seem to recall some of them had flaws.

Also, I believe most of the HDCDs are still available at a website called CDJapan. Sorry, don't have a link handy.

As for myself, I also agree that CTTE is their finest hour. I still have the original Atlantic cd, so I'm 2 remasterings behind (3 if you count the Japanese HDCD). Been thinking it may be about time to upgrade. . .
I must disagree with you Ben campbell and slipknot1; the definitive Yes album is Yessongs. If there is a better live rock/fusion album ever recorded, I want to hear it, IMHO. It is the one I've listened to again and again over the years and am still in awe. I've owned it on album, cassette, and CD. Anderson, Howe, Wakeman and Squire at their best! To accomplish what they did playing Live! is remarkable. If you don't fully appreciate it as quintessential Yes you may want to listen again. Yours Is No Disgrace, Siberian Khatru, Perpetual Change, Close to the Edge, Starship Trooper.... IMO the tracks on this album are far and away better than the studio versions. (which is almost unheard of for most bands) I don't have an SACD player nor does my player have HDCD; I do have Yessongs CD remaster. I would love to hear it at a higher level of sound quality. The real test of any band is how they perform live as opposed to the studio where the music can be tailored and tweaked. The recordings chosen from the Yessongs tour and put on the album were that rarity when everything came together for the group to produce mastered artistry and magic. Their other live albums don't even come close. IMHO this is their shining star.