Getting into Opera... need advice

I have never listened to much opera, but have lately been accidentally encountering it, and decided its time to dip my toe into the water.

I am interested in starting with something that has a very melancholy, introspective feel to it. Something slower... not too sprightly.

I guess that desire leads me to believe that I should look for a tenor, but if someone has a recording that features a female vocalist that they think would fit the bill, I will be receptive to such a suggestion.

Oh, and I have a CD-only rig. No vinyl or high resolution capabilities.

Thanks very much for the help.
niravp
You should try Debussy's "Pelleas et Melisande". Melancholy, introspective and absolutely gorgeous in every way. Several to choose from -- Boulez, Karajan, Abbado, Desormiere, Ansermet.
La Bohemme by Puccini! The most popular opera ever!!!!! Is a must for newcomers to opera. Beautiful music, great duets, great love theme, tragic death at end - its got it all. Was the background music in Moonstruck. I agree with the above recommendations re: go to your library and listen to singers and music from compilation discs to discover for your self which singers you prefer - the great ones are well known and the choice is very personal. And as Sugarbrie sez, they don't need to use a microphone.
CHANDOS Records (CDs) has an excellent series of operas sung in English. The recordings are of good quality and one can understand the plot as it develops. I recently purchased their recording of Wozzeck by Alban Berg and found it quite acceptable. Opera in English will get you started but the "sound" of the original language is what you eventually want and later you may want to purchase operas in their original language.
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful and detailed responses. I really appreciate all the help.

I will head out to the library some time next week and start borrowing CDs.
I would recommend something from Richard Wagner, one of the operas from "The Ring Cycle" would be nice. It's rather heavy music from the "Romantic" period and I like Sir George Solti's compositions the best.