SACD hybrids bad policy from Sony/Columbia?

Just read today that the whole collection of Bob Dylan remasters that were done last year on SACD hybrid are due to be released on CD soon at a much lower price.

To me this defeat the Trojan Horse policy of sneeking SACD's into households where there is no SACD player and maybe encouraging a SACD player purchase at a later date based on the knowledge that the buyer already has SACD's in his collection.

Furthermore when future SACD hybrids come on sale perhaps buyers may now hang off to see if what happened with the Dylan releases is repeated.
Indeed those who wanted the set and are a few short and have no SACD player will be able to but 3 CD remasters for the price of 2 Hybrids.

In terms of marketing SACD I think this a major mistake.
ben_campbell
Does anyone know the relative cost of manufacturing hybrid disks vs. redbook-only disks? That seems to only possible factor in this decsion, which I agree with Ben is mighty odd and quite disappointing.
Rsbeck ok,chill sir.

I'll take your word for the different mix on the layer,I haven't heard a different mix on any layer of the twenty or so SACD hybrids I own but I could be wrong and I see no point in digging out the disc to get caught in a petty debate.

I take your point on SACD superiority over the 100 discs.

I think I started this thread and it wasn't me who strayed off topic,most of the responses do that but I've long given up on the defensive stances of those who see no flaws in how SACD is developing so I hardly expect them to deal with my main point.
Well, they have to do something and hybrid "trojans" might help the numbers. As much as SACD (or DVD-A) shine when critical listening is involved, the real critical part is market share & profit. Walk into a Tower Rcds or whatever, check out the # of CDs displayed vs SACD/DVD-A, and no matter how much any of us appreciate MC audio - if they ain't movin' the numbers then sumpthin's gotta give. With overall RIAA sales tanking (due more to content offering & quality than copying, in my $.02) you'd think that anything that boosts actual sales would be good. That's probably what leads them to think that hybrids are good, 'cause who copies SACDs? Bottom line is that pure SACDs are a tiny tiny part of the overall CD sales, so anything that makes them more likely to sell will be used.
I don't see what Sony/Columbia is attempting to do by releasing a new batch of redbook CD (only) Dylan? Hybrids are a great idea. Even if you only want redbook CD it still gives you the option later to go to SACD if you choose. I don't see the downside to buying hybrids even for those not interested in SACD (unless you buy the theory that multi-layer discs have, or will have unforseen problems), since you get two or even three formats for the price of one?

As far as pricing, it goes up or down, "whenever", no matter what format is being sold. The only way to avoid getting bit by price fluctuation is to wait until the disc you want falls to the price you want to pay. It's kind of like trying to decide at what price to buy a stock.

I have been buying mostly hybrids lately, and refraining from buying redbook CD (only) from artists who I believe will soon have hybrids out. In many cases the CD layer on a hybrid is better sonically than anything by the same artist on redbook CD (only). The real loser format to me is the SACD (only) discs.

In the final analysis, all the different formats or possible future formats are leaving a lot people on the sidelines until the dust settles, if it ever does.
The reason you don't see a hybrid SACD section at Tower Records is because they keep the hybrid SACD's mixed in with regular CD's and advertize them as "remastered CD's." That way -- the great unwashed buy them as remastered CD's while subsidizing the SACD industry, making them available to those of us who are interested in them. Further, many companies, like Concord, a jazz label, are experiencing a complete rebirth because of SACD. I buy most of my SACD's through a web-site that specializes in audiophile
recordings -- I'm going to bet SACD is driving a lot of sales for them. I don't see any decrease in SACD releases -- I see an increase. I also see an increase
in titles that interest me and I'm having no problem acquiring a large collection of well engineered SACD's. Shopping for car stereos, I see that car stereos are starting to incorporate SACD players -- clearly -- the format is driving profits for somebody -- the Dylan and Stones releases were touted as successes so I'm going to guess we'll see more companies capitalizing on their catalogue similarly -- I don't see SACD going away anytime soon. It looks to me like I'm going to have the opportunity to build a huge collection
of SACD's to play in my SACD player promising millions of hours of sonic heaven. To those who don't want to partake for whatever reason -- to each his own.